6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2017 3:21 PM by John Weinshel

Can't Sum Columns in Densified View

John Weinshel

Starting from the sparse data in the Excel sheet in the screenshot:

Generators.png...I'm following an example in 'Learning Tableau 10' (end of chapter 5) to sum the number of generators running for every day from the first day (1/13/17) to the last (1/31/17). Even though the cell values are integers, column totals display only 1 or 0. Is there something about densification that is causing this, or is this newbie using totals incorrectly?

A related problem: the totals render in whatever shelf the cells use (circle as posted, but square, bar, text, shape all work); how to use a graphic in the cells and text in the totals?

• 1. Re: Can't Sum Columns in Densified View
          Jim Dehner

First welcom to tableau

The issue you are having with Grand Total is that the the Tableau function will use the formula in calcualted field and apply it to the total line (i.e. it will not sum but will use your if statement)

Now to the second question - you will be writing a different calcualtion here to get your total line and you can change the type on that separately

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Can't Sum Columns in Densified View
            John Weinshel

Thank you. There is also a 'Generators Operating' table calc that I have tried to use in a variety of ways to display daily totals without disrupting the view, but no luck so far.

Your response addresses why the current view can't show column totals, but I'm still confused about how to address that problem. Is that 'different calculation' added to the view? If so, where, and what is it?

• 3. Re: Can't Sum Columns in Densified View
              Jim Dehner

hi

i must have missed the question about Generators operating in your first post

it seems to be working just fine - see below - calculalted as Down

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 4. Re: Can't Sum Columns in Densified View
                John Weinshel

Thank you again for your help; I clearly have not described the problem accurately.

I like the view I posted; what's missing are column totals, so that day 13, with one generator operating, displays the number '1' in the Grand Total row,  day 23 displays 2, day 25 displays 4, etc. I am trying to avoid a second field in the Rows shelf, I need only one line of totals, and want to keep using graphics for the row marks, except for the totals.Generator_View.png

• 5. Re: Can't Sum Columns in Densified View
                  Jim Dehner

John

this is as close as it gets the sum is on the top

suggest you look at the viz below - the pill on the columns shelf for window sum is turned to discrete  - because the formula generates a single value for each date you get a single header vlaue - that would not be the case if the formula returned multiple values for each date

As I mentioned in the first response using Grand Totals will return the calcualtion value on calculated fields - not the sum of the column

the other red tabs show altern ate soultions that do different things

Jim

• 6. Re: Can't Sum Columns in Densified View
                    John Weinshel

That's exactly what I was trying to do. And, your solution has brought me a bit closer to understanding partitioning/addressing. Thank you very much.

Am I correct that the second (text shelf) iteration of Action Value for Date is unnecessary?