1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2017 1:31 PM by Hope Stiles

Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter

Hope Stiles

Good morning,

I am working on a project where everyone will start on an Overall Dashboard.  All filters for the workbook will be on this dashboard.  I need a way for the user to navigate to Dashboard 2 or Dashboard 3 (in actuality there are 10 dashboards they might choose) depending on what they want to see.  As the dashboard already has many worksheets I would like to do this without buttons.  Can I use something like a parameter, (a drop down), where the user can select where they want to go and an action is taken to get them there?

I've created a sample workbook using superstore in 10.1.  The behavior I am going for is, if I choose Sales from the drop down on Overall, it will take me to the Sales dashboard.  If I choose Quantity from the drop down on Overall, it will take me to the Quantity Dashboard.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Hope

• 2. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
          Hope Stiles

Alan,

I'm afraid sheet swapping is not going to help me here.  Each of the 11 dashboards has many sheets on it.  I need to actually navigate to the other dashboard instead of just changing what is displayed.

Thank you,

Hope

• 3. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
            Alan Perez

ok, then you should do them actions, but how are you going to navigate to another dash, from which filter?

• 4. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
              Hope Stiles

Right.  So I want the action to occur when the correct option is chosen from the parameter.

• 5. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
                Alan Perez

the option that I found were with leaves that when clicking on the name of the dashboard sends you to said dash and you can navigate between them, I hope it will be useful

• 6. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
                  Hope Stiles

Alan,

Thanks again.  Unfortunately, because I have 10 different options for them to choose from this is not practical.  There just isn't space and I'm trying to avoid adding more worksheets as the overall dashboard already has at least 11 worksheets and uses 6 or more data sources.  I'm already concerned that the performance will be slow so I want to avoid more sheets (using buttons or links).

Thanks,

Hope

• 7. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
                    Joe Oppelt

Hope -- the little button sheets won't slow you down, but they WILL take up real estate.

I'm guessing you want the parameter because of the pull-down capability, but a click in a parameter will not trigger an action, unfortunately.

Actually, let me rephrase that.  You can do little buttons in a way that won't slow you down.  You can also kill your performance too.  I face what I think you are facing, both for real estate concerns and for performance.  I get around the performance by adding a tiny excel data source that I call Control_File.  It just has a few rows and a few columns.  I use it for all sorts of control concerns -- tiny buttons among them.  This adds zero performance hit.  Initially I was doing the same thing in my giant data source, and rendering a dozen little buttons that were hitting against the data source was prohibitive.

As for real estate, can you get by with ONE little button space, and a parameter to sheet-swap buttons?  It would require two clicks, but would reduce your real estate needs.

• 8. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
                      Hope Stiles

Joe,

All good information.  Thanks.

Let me see if I understand what you mean by "one little button space, and a parameter to sheet-swap buttons".  Something like, a drop down parameter with my 10 dashboard names in it (the user wouldn't see anything happen when they picked one) but then there could be a little arrow next to the parameter and they could click it to go to the dashboard they had selected in the parameter?  I think I could make that work.

How would I build the action to read the parameter?

Thank you,

Hope

• 9. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
                        Joe Oppelt

Actually, I wasn't thinking of that.  I was thinking of 10 little-button sheets, and doing sheet-swapping to display just one of those buttons (the other 9 would be swapped out under standard sheet-swapping behavior), and then the user would click the displayed button.  Each of the 10 button-sheets would have separate actions to go to the respective dashboard.

See, the thing about an action (to go to another dashboard) is that it's specific to a sheet, not to a value within the sheet.  Any mark on the sheet will have a target sheet/dashboard, and it's uniform for all the marks on the source sheet.

You need 10 little arrows next to the parameter, but sheet swapping would ensure that only one arrow would ever display at a time.

It would look exactly as you described to the user, but the programming behind it will require 10 separate sheets.

The cool thing about this, though, is that you can use custom shapes to have a unique shape for each dashboard button.  (Or a different color arrow, or some other uniqueness for each dashboard button.)

• 10. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
                          Hope Stiles

I can make that work.  Can you share a little more on the Control_File for me?  Does it need actual data in it?  Or can I just build my blank there? 

• 11. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
                            Joe Oppelt

Based on a reply you made to Alan, I am assuming you are familiar with sheet swapping, so I don't need to explain details on that.

Yes, the excel file ... you could probably get away with one cell in it.  Your button sheet would display whatever is there.  You just need something displayed.  One dimension.  That's it.  Put the dimension on ROWS and in TEXT, but then choose SHAPES for the mark type.  Just display some shape (like the arrow, for the simplest design, or some special shape for each dashboard...)  Then you would have a calc that looks at the value of the parameter.  It it's option-1, then the button-1 sheet would display and all others would go blank.  Option-2 would display button-2 sheet.  Etc.  As long as you have one dimension pill on the sheet, this will work.

Now comes the next caveat:  when you do sheet swapping, the blanked-out sheet(s) leave a 9-pixel remnant in place.  In most cases it is imperceptible to the user.  But you are going to be doing this in a tiny button-window of space, and 9x9-pixels of remnants will really get gnarly.

I just worked with Abirami in this thread:  Accessing object that is below a floating object  to creatively display different objects in a slice of a viewing area.  It sort of addresses the principle you'll need to handle.

Attached is a sample workbook that goes into something a little more tedious but very specific to the concern you will have to handle.  It's swapping 20 sheets, yet accounts for all the 9-pixel remnants by having "lifter" sheets at the top and bottom of the container to push/pull the whole mechanism of sheets so that the subject sheet is always positioned exactly in the viewing window.

You probably weren't counting on getting into all this, but I don't see a better way.  I'll keep working with you to help you get this if you want to pursue it.

• 12. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
                              Joe Oppelt

Here is a control file I frequently use:

• 13. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
                                Hope Stiles

Thanks so much Joe.  I'm sure I'll hit you back up for more help on this but it will probably be a few days (weeks) until I get to that point.  This is a pretty big project I'm working on and the navigation was one of those things I've had on my list to think about how to do effectively and efficiently.  My colleague suggested using some sort of drop down when we met last week and it seemed like a good idea.  So, I'd done some searching on the forums before posting today but think this is going to work well.  I don't have all my data sources line up yet, so I don't have all the dashboards built.  I'll go ahead and build out the parameter, calculated field, and 10 sheets so I'll have them when I get there.

I have done sheet swapping before and should be able to make the actions work as well based on other work I've done.  I appreciate the heads up on the pixels/space for the non showing sheets and will take a look at the link and workbook you attached.  One thought I'd already had was this:

I'll have a horizontal container that will have 2 filters in it.  Then I'll want the parameter and the 10 swapping sheets.  I was wondering if I should put them in the same container or if it would be better to have the 10 sheets in their own horizontal container.  I suppose the parameter could go in the container with the 2 filters.  Appreciate any thoughts you have.

Thanks,

Hope

• 14. Re: Navigation to other dashboards by action paramter
                                  Joe Oppelt

I think you'll need to put the 10 swapped sheets (plus the "lifter" sheets) in their own separate container.  You'll need to float that behind things so that the stuff that's not in the viewing area (including the lifter sheets) can be hidden behind things.  You only want the user to see the one arrow button in question, so you'll need to hide the other stuff behind things that are floating above the 10-sheet container.  Sort of like what I did in the other thread I linked.

1 2 Previous Next