3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 12:29 PM by Chris McClellan

Extract 101

Kemal Gürler

Hello,

Although I read couple of articles regarding Tableau Extract, I am still having difficulties to get it done. Let me explain you how I do it at the moment and you tell me where I am wrong.

1- I am using an Excel file as data source (Let's call it Sales.xlsx). I connect it to Tableau.

2- In very Data Source page, I select Extract in Connection tab.

3- Naturally, when I click Sheet 1, Tableau asks me at where I want to create Extract.  (Sales.tde)

4- After Extracted file has created, I close the workbook and create new one by using newly created extract file as data source. (Sales.tde)

This is where trouble begin. When I update Sales.xlsx, in the workbook that is using Sales.tde, I follow Data > Extract > Refresh, nothing changes.

I understand that Sales.tde is in fact a static, compressed file yet If I skip step #4 and continue working with Excel file after I select Extract, it keeps working with Excel file which slows performance.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Extract 101
          Chris McClellan

Hmmm ... if you skip Step 4 you should have a TDE but it knows that the real source is the XLS.  That way you have the benefits of the TDE and you can update from the XLS and get new data.

I think you're missing a simple step.  If you create a new workbook and attach to the XLS you will this icon:

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 6.18.40 pm.png

but after you create the extract the icon changes to this :

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 6.19.46 pm.png

see the "double cylinder" icon ?  that means that you're using an extract.

So I wouldn't be doing Step 4, check that you've got a "double cylinder" icon and go from there

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Extract 101
            morvarid.kardan.1

Hi Community, As for the extract creation, can we assume that Tableau can create 'Extract' from all the available data sources that it connects to?

• 3. Re: Extract 101
              Chris McClellan

Definitely, but please start a new thread to ask a new question