5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2017 7:11 AM by Donna Coles

Data stored in Tableau Server Database

sudhakar reddy

Hello Admin Expertise,

Can any one provide me the information related to the Tableau Server Database ("POSTGRES").

How many days data is being stored in tableau server database? Because the view count of the workbooks in traffic to view (Custom Admin Views)page is different when compared to the view count of workbook on content page.

Regards,

Sudhakar Reddy

• 1. Re: Data stored in Tableau Server Database
          Donna Coles

Hi Sudhakar

One reason for discrepancy may be because the count of workbooks on the content page will be the 'active' workbooks only.  In the traffic to views report, it's likely to be using information that contains references to workbooks that may have since been deleted off the server.

eg if you today you published a new workbook, viewed it, then deleted it, I'd expect it not to de included in the count of active workbooks on the content page, but I'd still expect to see an entry for today in the traffic to views report.

Donna

• 2. Re: Data stored in Tableau Server Database
            sudhakar reddy

Hello donna,

Thanks for giving the clarity, here i have a doubt again. As mentioned by you if the count of the views in traffic to views is reference to deleted workbook then the count of views should be more for workbooks in traffic to views but here at my end the count views for workbooks at content page is more.

Could you please clarify the above.

Appreciate your effort.

Thanks,

Sudhakar Reddy

• 3. Re: Data stored in Tableau Server Database
              Donna Coles

Hi Sudhakar

Not necessarily.  It's possible a workbook has been published and never been viewed (I have seen instances of this at my company). The traffic to views is likely to use the historical_events table from the postgres database, which by default stores 6 months worth of data if I recall.

Donna

• 4. Re: Data stored in Tableau Server Database
                Toby Erkson

I noticed this too a while back.  Some of the counts are off but not all of them and generally not by much -- insignificant as far as I was concerned.  I have no idea why.

• 5. Re: Data stored in Tableau Server Database
                  Donna Coles

Hi Sudhakar

Just looked at this a bit more closely.  I think I've confused you, as I mis-interpreted what you'd asked regarding a count of workbooks, and not count of 'hits' on a view in a workbook.

Anyway, I've just looked at how the Traffic to Views is constructed ( you can download the admin views by following the instructions on this blog).  The report does use the 'historical events' table in the postgresdb which by default only contains 6 months worth of data so looking over long time periods (eg 12 months or all), there will always be a difference, as I imagine the Contents page doesn't refer to this table

However, if I compare for the last 1 month on the content page vs the last 30 days on the Traffic to Views I do seem to get a match though...

Hope this helps clarify things a bit better.

Regards

Donna