13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2019 11:45 AM by gabriela..zorrilla

Problem connecting to data source on tableau public

peter medler

Having a terrible issue which is making me think I've gotta rebuild 3 different workbooks.  Yes I had backups but the issue affects the backups too.  This is bad, hopefully somebody smart out there can tell me where I'm going wrong.  The issue is that SUDDENLY one day, my 3 most used workbooks have a problem connecting to their data source.  One day everything was fine, the next day, major issue that I've never seen before.  Here's how it goes down.. Open workbook from File > Open From Tableau Public, Login, choose workbook, open.  When I go to Data > Datasource > refresh I get the following:

Then I click Yes to edit connection and I see that there seems to be an issue here, and I do not see my Excel tabs or named ranges in the left section:

That's pretty much it.  I can replace the data source but still see no Excel tabs or named ranges on the left.  This suddenly affected the 3 main workbooks I use rendering them all completely useless.  As I said, there were backups that also get the same errors.  One thing that I noticed was that right before I first noticed the issue, I was having a problem running macros in Excel, they were acting strangely so I closed and restarted Excel and when it opened, it said it had recovered a file which I paid no attention to and dismissed the message to recover the file.  Upon reflection I thought MAYBE the file it recovered was something to do with maybe the old "normal.xls" file - that's what they used to call it, I think its like the registry version or something.  Anyway, I'm not sure if that's relevant.  I've considered restoring my machine to see if it might fix a possible Excel Registry file..?

On another note, I've restarted everything and uninstalled and downloaded and reinstalled the latest version 10.3 which I was using before.  I also tried repairing Tableau and I've waited several days to see if it would fix itself, obviously it has not.  Thanks if you hung with me through my rambling, please help.

• 1. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
          peter medler

I have officially broken the Tableau Community!  After 42 views, no one has accepted the challenge of this question.  I hope I didn't violate an unwritten rule of forums, but barring that, I guess this issue is uniquely my own to tussle with, yay!

• 2. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
            Chris McClellan

There mus be simple that's caused the error though.

Is Tableau connecting to the proper file ?

Does the file exist at that location (and available to be opened) ?

Does the excel file contain a sheet called Results_Table ?

Usually when I've seen this in the past, one of those three questions will reveal the problem that Tableau has with accessing the data.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
              peter medler

Thanks Chris.  Unfortunately this is a strange issue.  I've tried creating a brand new Tableau workbook and creating a brand new connection to the Excel file in question.  Again, not a single excel tab nor named range appears to the left.  I've tried loading other Excel files and I DO see the tabs and named ranges so I've narrowed it down to a single (or set of) excel file(s).  I will try copying and pasting some of the important tab to a brand new Excel workbook and see what happens.

I do not wish this issue on anyone, but something happened.  I can only assume I've been hacked or hit with a virus, however this is a business computer that gets used for nothing but work.  If anyone out there has ever come across anything like this, I'd love to hear from you.

• 4. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
                Matt Lutton

I'd certainly recommend Support Case | Tableau Software  for technical account questions like this one -- the Community is great, but Support has resources dedicated to helping customers. 

Best wishes!

• 5. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
                  peter medler

Just wanted to provide the rest of the story.  Yes it was fixed.  How?  No clue, just started working again, I can't explain it.  Been using Tableau since 2012 so not my first time at the rodeo.

• 6. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
                    Gregory Saget-Rudd

A year after your last post, I now have exactly the same issue, and can't seem to find any answers online. I see your update was several months after the previous post. Could you confirm how long it actually took before working again on its own? Days / weeks / months?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
                      Ciara Brennan

Gregory Saget-Rudd wrote:

A year after your last post, I now have exactly the same issue, and can't seem to find any answers online. I see your update was several months after the previous post. Could you confirm how long it actually took before working again on its own? Days / weeks / months?

Thanks!

Hi Gregory

By any chance did you run into this problem on Tableau Public last week?, as I know there were some service problems around 2nd Jan

Tableau Public | Tableau Software Trust

• 8. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
                        Gregory Saget-Rudd

Nope, unfortunately problem started today on Tableau Online.

The extracts worked yesterday, but I had emails indicating errors this morning (extracts are updated a couple of times per day).

Admittedly, not the exact same problem as Peter since I'm on Tableau Online and not Public, but the screen captures are pretty much identical to what I'm seeing on my side.

• 9. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
                          Ciara Brennan

Hi Gregory

Was there a change in the underlying data by any chance?  https://kb.tableau.com/articles/issue/error-while-reloading-data-source-extract-refresh

What was the wording of the error msg?

Thanks, Ciara

Troubleshoot Refresh Issues - Tableau Online - Tableau

Troubleshoot Refresh Issues

When Tableau Online is unable to complete a scheduled refresh, an alert appears to indicate that the refresh has failed. If a scheduled refresh fails five consecutive times, Tableau Online suspends the refresh. When a refresh is suspended, Tableau Online does not try to run it again until you take an action that attempts to correct the cause of the failure.

To display an alert that describes the reason the refresh failed, select the alert icon in the application header.

Note: This topic pertains to data extract refreshes that you schedule directly on Tableau Online, not to those you scheduled in Tableau Bridge.

Correct errors and resume suspended refreshes

To resolve refresh issues, you can take any of these actions, based on the cause indicated in the alert:

• Errors related to access token validation or user credentialsTo correct these issues, you can go to the Data Connection page for the data source and edit the connection information. For example, update a user name or password, or select a different access token.After you update the connection information, Tableau Online restarts the refresh schedule.If you originally embedded the credentials or other data connection information when you published the workbook or data source from Tableau Desktop, you can also republish the workbook or data source. As part of the publishing process, you can choose to set a new refresh schedule. Otherwise, Tableau Online restarts the existing schedule.
                          • Errors that indicate the database was unreachableConfirm that the database is online and that you can sign in to access the data. You can use the Try again link in the alert to restart the refresh schedule.
                          • 10. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
                            Gregory Saget-Rudd

Hi Ciara,

The error is as follows in Tableau Desktop if I try to recreate the connexion to the source:

"An error occurred while communicating with Microsoft Excel Reader.

Bad Connection: Tableau could not connect to the data source.

Errors occurred while loading the data source."

In Tableau Online, the error reads:

"com.tableausoftware.nativeapi.exceptions.DataSourceException: Errors occurred while loading the data source. The table "[TableauTemp].['Marketing spend - Daily$']" does not exist. Unable to connect to the Google Sheets server "". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database."

I tried editing the connexion details, but to no avail. As Peter had, if I go in Tableau Desktop, I don't see the other tabs anymore.

The data is updated daily within the google sheet. I've tried rolling back to a version that worked before but still have the same issue. I've also made a copy of the sheet and tried to connect to that, but same result.

• 11. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
                              Gregory Saget-Rudd

Finally found the source of the issue. Updating for anyone else that might have the same issue.

It turns out a colleague had added a new tab which uses a pivot table, causing Tableau Online and Tableau Desktop to be unable to connect to the Google Sheets document.

Hopefully Tableau will be able to start handling this issue (I see at least one other post on this dating from november 2017) by either handling pivot tables or just ignoring the tab that contains one. At the very least, having a separate error message to indicate that a pivot table is the issue would be a major step up.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
                                Ciara Brennan

Thanks for the update Gregory, glad to hear its sorted now.

BTW, please feel free to add any ideas / feature requests to our Ideas board ..

Ideas

Many thanks,

Ciara

• 13. Re: Problem connecting to data source on tableau public
                                  gabriela..zorrilla

Awesome! This also happens with Google Sheets.