I have followed the steps in the documentation, I thought, to get active directory to control the user's access to the Tableau Server content page. I installed the product into a domain and specified to use Active Directory for authentication. I added users both individually out of the active directory and as part of an active directory group.
When a user, who is logged into a computer in the domain with a correct username and password uses Chrome to navigate to the Tableau Server home page, they are prompted again for their username and password. I have synchronized, but the prompts persist. I skimmed all the SAML information, but our users are not coming from another website.