1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 29, 2017 1:25 AM by Simon Runc

The most effective way in terms of performance to work with such data

Kemal Gürler

Hello,

My data look like this:

Therefore, I have to create calculated fields with IF/THEN to get Actual Volume of 2017, Budgeted Volume of 2017, Actual Revenue of 2017, Budgeted Revenue of 2017, etc (same for 2016)

This is mini illustration of course, I have couple of years and much more measures in original data. When I create this many calculated fields, it becomes way too hard to work with data. I have experienced over 10 GB RAM usage in my desktop. What do you think is the best way to organize this data and get rid of such calculated fields?

Thanks in advance,

Greetings

• 1. Re: The most effective way in terms of performance to work with such data
          Simon Runc

hi Kemal,

So I'd keep Year (or any date) going down the page, but would create separate columns (prior to bringing into Tableau) for Actual Sales and Budget. There are times when having a dimension for each measure is useful, but 95% of the time different measures should have their own column.

If you are unable to re-shape your data, you could try to optimise the extract (one you've created the IF calculations....IIF ([A/B] = "Actual", [Volume],NULL) ). If you have the IF statements as per the example I've just detailed (row level calculations), the optimisation process should "materialize" these calculated fields...so they are no longer calculated "on the fly"

Hope that helps

1 of 1 people found this helpful