5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2017 12:38 AM by Yuriy Fal

Layer additional Graph

Eric Yap

Hi All,

I am currently creating a dashboard from 3 data sources and controlling the selection (In this case, country) to show the various visualization.

However, my colleague is interested in enabling an option to select additional countries such that they overlap each other but t the same time, still retaining the parameter control as the main filter.

Here is what I have currently have and what I intend to achieve:

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

In this case, I have to add an additional Country Filter that renders my Parameter control useless ( i have to select True + False). The parameter control is used so that my eventual dashboard is able to show the 3 main statistics i want from the same country from different data sources.

I have attached my workbook for your use. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Layer additional Graph
          Matt Lutton

I am not sure I understand your statement about the parameter control being used "so that my eventual dashboard is able to show the 3 main statistics I want from the same country from different data sources".  Can you further explain why you are using a parameter instead of a Cross DB filter?  What version of Tableau are you using?

With more detail, I may be able to assist.  Its still a bit hard for me to understand the use case right now, or what the purpose of the parameter vs. a filter is.  Can you mock up your expected results, or further explain what you hope to happen once a Country is selected?

Best wishes!

• 2. Re: Layer additional Graph
            Eric Yap

Hi Matt! I am on Tableau 10.1. The three graphs you see below are from varying database, and the parameter control helps me to unify the country column as i couldn't get the Union function to work with my database.

This is what I have built so far:

Capture.PNG

1) I have a "Country Select" Parameter that allows me to switch to any country and the corresponding graphs will switch the country too. This is my "Parameter Control"

2) I am trying to insert a Seperate "Filter" that will allow me to add additional line Graphs onto "Real GDP Growth" portion, something like this, white retaining my Parameter Control so that users, while exploring the specific country detail (for example U.K), can compare the GDP Growth of another country with ease.

Capture.PNG

Hope I am clearer this time round. I am still working to find a work around that will enable be to achieve this function for my end-users.

• 3. Re: Layer additional Graph
              Yuriy Fal

Hi Eric,

If it is convenient for your users

to have another "Country" filter on a dash --

with the "(Selected Country)" value in it

instead of the actual name of the Country

being selected from the Parameter --

then the attached would be of some help.

Yours,

Yuri

• 4. Re: Layer additional Graph
                Eric Yap

Thanks Yuriy. I got it to work with my Dashboard.  

• 5. Re: Layer additional Graph
                  Yuriy Fal

Eric, you're welcome.