4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2018 1:03 PM by Lolakshi Gour

Converting from Extract to Live Connection

Michael Welter

I've spent the last 3 hours searching, and reading, and haven't found the answers I'm looking for. Let me start by saying that I'm a novice with Tableau, and have not worked at all with Tableau server yet. Every article I find assumes a certain level of expertise, so I'm completely lost. So, forgive me if my questions seem juvenile. Here's my situation.

I'm part of a team that is a developing a single, very complex, workbook, with well over 100 worksheets, and between 15 and 20 data providers. Currently, we're working with an extracted workbook, since only one person on the team has database access. She extracts the data, then distributes the workbook, so we can each work on our parts. Then we send it back to her, so she can stitch it all together. So far, that method has worked well for us. But now we're getting ready to publish this thing to Tableau server so the project sponsor can start testing it. None of us have much experience with Tableau server, so I have some questions.

1. Can we convert the workbook from an extracted workbook to a workbook with live connections on the server? If so, how?

2. Can we have some of the data providers be extracted, and others be live? If so, how?