3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2017 2:14 PM by Jeff Strauss

Converting from Extract to Live Connection

Michael Welter

I've spent the last 3 hours searching, and reading, and haven't found the answers I'm looking for. Let me start by saying that I'm a novice with Tableau, and have not worked at all with Tableau server yet. Every article I find assumes a certain level of expertise, so I'm completely lost. So, forgive me if my questions seem juvenile. Here's my situation.

I'm part of a team that is a developing a single, very complex, workbook, with well over 100 worksheets, and between 15 and 20 data providers. Currently, we're working with an extracted workbook, since only one person on the team has database access. She extracts the data, then distributes the workbook, so we can each work on our parts. Then we send it back to her, so she can stitch it all together. So far, that method has worked well for us. But now we're getting ready to publish this thing to Tableau server so the project sponsor can start testing it. None of us have much experience with Tableau server, so I have some questions.

1. Can we convert the workbook from an extracted workbook to a workbook with live connections on the server? If so, how?

2. Can we have some of the data providers be extracted, and others be live? If so, how?

• 1. Re: Converting from Extract to Live Connection
          Jeff Strauss

For #1, I think the only way to change between extract and live is via desktop.  Uncheck the "use extract" and then republish.

For #2, yes.  Some data providers can be live and some can be extracts

As a side note, are you sure that you want to have such a large workbook?  There may be better ways of doing this...

• 2. Re: Converting from Extract to Live Connection
            Michael Welter

Jeff, thank you so much for that answer. Finally, an answer that I can understand! LOL

So, once we create the needed connection on the server, the workbook will just use that connection? Once we publish the workbook, do we need to do anything to it to make it use that connection?

I'm sure there are simpler ways to do this, but we've been in a hurry to get this workbook completed, and haven't really had time to make sure everything is just right. :-)

• 3. Re: Converting from Extract to Live Connection
              Jeff Strauss

the workbook can have the connection(s) embedded locally (which is the default), or you can publish the datasource as standalone to TS decoupled from the workbook, and then the workbook just points at the connection via the datasource that is stored on TS, you do this by way of making connecting to Tableau Server.  One of the big benefits of this is that then you can have many workbooks that point at the published datasource that lives on server.  I hope this helps and doesn't muddy the waters too much.  There's also many posts if you google "Tableau published datasources".

1 of 1 people found this helpful