1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 9:21 AM by Ben Neville

How can I create a filter for a filter?

Winston Underwood

I have a file with employees and for each employee it lists which department they are in:

EmployeeOrg Level 1Org Level 2Org Level 3Org Level 4
      John SmithFixed income analyticsFixed incomeInvestmentsFinance
      Katie JohnsonProduct pricing analyticsPricing analyticsProduct servicesMarketing

Instead of having a different filter for each Org level, I want a way to filter the filter, for example the first filter would be:

Filter Level

Employee

Org Level 1
      Org Level 2
      Org Level 3
      Org Level 4

And depending on the selection on that filter, the filter below would be the actual filter on that level. So if you select 'Employee' the filter below would be a dropdown of all employees. If it is 'Org Level 1' the filter would be a dropdown of all Org Level 1 options. How can I do this?

• 1. Re: How can I create a filter for a filter?
          Ben Neville

Create a parameter and set it to text. Just enter your above values, and you only need a single calculation that looks something like:

CASE [Parameter You Created]

WHEN 'Employee' THEN [Employee]

WHEN 'Org Level 1' THEN [Org Level 1]

WHEN 'Org Level 2' THEN [Org Level 2]

WHEN 'Org Level 3' THEN [Org Level 3]

WHEN 'Org Level 4' THEN [Org Level 4]

END

You're just turning a string input into a different field output. Add this field as a filter (and show the filter), and it should function exactly as you wanted. The user selects the level from the parameter, and the values in the filter update automatically.