1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 9:06 PM by James Geron

Understanding Tableau Server processes

Charles Ayotte-Trépanier

Hi,

I'm about to migrate Tableau Server to a new machine.

I know about the number of processes Tableau recommands for our environment, but I don't know what these recommendations are based on.

For example, if we have faster processors and tons of RAM, should I stick with the recommended configuration, or should I add more processes?

Of course, testing would be a great way to go. However, I can't recreate the backgrounder workload on the new machine. We have around 3000 scheduled extracts refresh, and I don't think the DBA's will like me if these queries run twice (both on the actual prod environment, and on the new machine on which I'm testing.)

Is there any scenario where it would be better not to use the recommended configuration? If so, is there any documentation that would help me understand how the processes work and what would be optimal for my hardware?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Understanding Tableau Server processes
          James Geron

Hello Charles,

Our documentation regarding recommendations are meant to be used as a guideline to give some idea as to how Tableau Server may be configured in different scenarios - Performance Tuning .  However, the best answer is typically found through trial and error in each environment and is specific to not only hardware, but the use case.  In order to "plan" a configuration of Tableau Server one must understand what the main processes do and conversely must understand how they will impact the use case. Here is some information which will be helpful:  Tableau Server Processes

The best way to tune a deployment is to formulate the best configuration using the examples and process descriptions provided then tweak it to what you feel is suitable to meet the needs of the users.  Test it.  Then adjust. Obviously, this is best done monitoring during heavy use periods and adjusting configuration during maintenance.

In the more recent versions of Tableau Server, the initial installation will auto configure the number of processes to based on the available hardware in a balanced type scenario.  An example would be 2 VizQL Server, 2 Backgrounders, 2 Cache Servers and 2 Data Server for an 8 core/32Gb Ram machine.

Just keep in mind, Tableau Server is built to be flexible.  As such, it can be balanced or weighted toward a feature (like having more backgrounders to keep data extracts up to date).

Also, if you would like, I am positive your Sales Rep has some resources they can pass your way.