6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 8:26 AM by Yingying Zeng

How to set up multi measures indicator

Yingying Zeng

Dear Community,

In 10.2 tableau, we can do multi-measure color legend while I am wondering how we can apply  the concept the shape as the indicators .

In another word, I want to have  the multi measures (  multimeasure could be YOY profit , YOY sales etc) indicator separately as well: when Year over Year difference is positive , then green arrow up; When Year over year is negative , the red arrow down.

Please see tab "How to set up multi measures indicator" in the attached twbx book

Thanks a lot,

multimeasure indicator.png

• 1. Re: How to set up multi measures indicator
          Shinichiro Murakami

Hi Yingying,

You can put "place holder" measure which is typically "Min of number of records" to put "1" always.

Then, for each "Place" you put individual indicator, color and text.

Below are the step instruction.

Change axis range to 0-3 to align the position.

Change aliases for Sales and Profit

Hide Header

Remove grid line.

Thanks,

Shin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to set up multi measures indicator
            Yingying Zeng

Hello Shinichiro,

Thank you so much for the instruction. It is very helpful.  I have another two extra questions and I am wondering whether you can help me again

1. Can we adjust more space between the indicators and numbers?

Currently, I format the numbers in right/left so that the numbers and indicator has space while I am wondering whether we can adjust more space between numbers and indicators

2. Currently we have numbers, Year over Year change indicators. Can we use some way to add another column with the indicators  for current month and prior month change indicator ? In another way numbers, indicator1, indicator2

Thanks again

• 3. Re: How to set up multi measures indicator
              Shinichiro Murakami

Yingying,

1. add "space" before the number

actually, "a        " and remove first "a" if space cannot be inserted directly.

2. add new KPI to horizontal view is easy.

You can modify axis to add header title like YOY Profit, YOY sales etc.

But if you want vertical more than 2 KPIs, or 2 x 2 matrix, I don't have easy idea to accomplish it with one sheet and single data..

If your data size is reasonably small, you can try duplicate data with "Union"

Or merge two sheets on dashboard.

If you really need this solution, because that way different approach, I recommend that you post another thread with clear expectation.

Thanks,

Shin << Ambassador Spotlight Here>>

• 4. Re: How to set up multi measures indicator
                Yingying Zeng

Thanks a lot Shinichiro.  My data is very big. Currently, I am  putting indicators and numbers on two sheets and floating them on the dashboards.

I probably will put another post about the N*N matrix. while I did think it is kind of complicated.

Do you think it is weird to use the two floating sheets on one dashboard to solve this problem?

Thanks so much

• 5. Re: How to set up multi measures indicator
                  Shinichiro Murakami

Yingying,

I don't think it's weird when you use two sheets on dashboard, or it's even natural solution.

One concern though is aligning all the format across worksheets sometimes difficult.

Especially, if use need to scroll to see  one worksheets, the function synchronizing multiple sheets when scrolling is not available.

Thanks,

Shin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to set up multi measures indicator
                    Yingying Zeng

Thanks a lot Shinichiro for your help and input. It is very helpful