1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 22, 2017 9:13 AM by patrick.byrne.0

Understanding Tableau's Order Of Operations

Fabian Zimmer

Dear Tableau Community,

I can't count the number of times I have been looking for an answer and found it here on the forum. I think it's about time to pay it forward.

Understanding in which order certain operations happen greatly influences one's ability to work with their data in Tableau. And while there are diagrams and workbooks floating around that show the basic gist of it, I wanted a version that is a little more precise and possibly comes with a few examples, targeting standard questions like: "why can I not mix aggregates and non aggregates in conditional logic?" or "why are LODs not aggregated, when clearly there's an aggregation happening inside the LOD itself?"

A few days I set out to design a one pager, intended to be printed on a DIN A3 sheet or to be viewed on a large screen, that will show you exactly how your data set shrinks vertically due to various filters and aggregate roll ups, and growth in width due to new calculations. All colour coded and tied back to a few sample calculations.

Unfortunately I can only attach a low res preview here, but please feel free to grab the 1200 dpi version from my blog post here.

OOO Cheat Sheet Low Res.png

If you feel I missed something or have constructive feedback, please let me know.

All the best and happy vizzing,

Fabian Zimmer

Biztory