11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2018 5:26 AM by Jessica Murray

Tabcmd log in statement fails

Laura Romanschi

Hi everyone,

I hope you have a solution for me here. I've tried in several Tableau Server environments to connect to the server using tabcmd, and each time my session is just hanging "Connecting to the server..."

I have the following scenarios, both Tableau Server st up in AWS:

- Dev local authnetication version 10,2

- Prod SAML authentication version 10,3

- for each one I've downloaded the correct version of tabcmd in C:\Program Files\tabcmd location

- user has Server Administrator role

- I've tested both:

- tabcmd login -s localhost -t "Site" -u username - p password

- tabcmd login -s https://myservername.com -t "Site" -u username - p password

Any ideas are much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Tabcmd log in statement fails
          Tom W

What's the address you use to connect to the server in the browser? Have you tried that and, does it work?

• 2. Re: Tabcmd log in statement fails
            Jeff Strauss

when usinh tabcmd with https, try adding --no-certcheck.  Maybe this will help.

• 3. Re: Tabcmd log in statement fails
              Laura Romanschi

Hi Tom. I am using the Command Prompt and have tested using both tabcmd log in - s localhost and tabcmd log in -s https://servername

Does anyone know if I have multiple sites, I need to log in to the site -t "Site Name" in this statement?

• 4. Re: Tabcmd log in statement fails
                Laura Romanschi

Hi Jeff,

I did that and still is in pending mode as before:

"Connecting to the server...." No error messages.

This is my full statement after I navigate to tabcmd folder: C:\Program Files\Tabcmd\Command Line Utility

tabcmd login -s https://servername -t "Site Name" - u username -p password --no-certcheck

• 5. Re: Tabcmd log in statement fails
                  Tom W

Laura Romanschi wrote:

Hi Tom. I am using the Command Prompt and have tested using both tabcmd log in - s localhost and tabcmd log in -s https://servername

Does anyone know if I have multiple sites, I need to log in to the site -t "Site Name" in this statement?

I asked if you've connected via the browser to test you can actually access the server/site through your browser.

Can you attach a screenshot of that so we can see it's working?

Then can you attach a screenshot of your command line using the same address where it's not working?

• 6. Re: Tabcmd log in statement fails
                    Laura Romanschi

Hi Tom.

Yes I can access the server in the browser.

I cannot log in via tabcmd (I had to erase the server name due to privacy, but it's the same one in both screenshots)

• 7. Re: Tabcmd log in statement fails
                      Tom W

I'm going to have to assume those URLs are the same as I can't see them to validate. It sounds crazy but quite often people think they are typing the same thing but it's actually different.

Tabcmd does output log files which might be helpful. You should be able to find it somewhere like; C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Tableau

Also, have you tried creating a case with Tableau Support for this?

• 8. Re: Tabcmd log in statement fails
                        Laura Romanschi

Yes I am familiar with the log files. These are the corresponding entries:

[7588] DEBUG 2017-08-08 16:29:41,916: ====>> Starting Tabcmd 10.2 at Tue Aug 08 16:29:41 UTC 2017 <<====

[7588] DEBUG 2017-08-08 16:29:41,916: Build 10200.17.0328.0755

[7588] DEBUG 2017-08-08 16:29:41,916: System.out encoding: Cp1252

[7588] DEBUG 2017-08-08 16:29:41,916: Console codepage: 437   (OEM - United States)

[7588] DEBUG 2017-08-08 16:29:41,916: Codepage identifier code: 437

[7588] DEBUG 2017-08-08 16:29:41,916: Default locale: en_US

[7588] DEBUG 2017-08-08 16:29:41,918: Display language: English

[7588] DEBUG 2017-08-08 16:29:41,966: run as: tabcmd login -s xxx -t Studio 360 -u TableauAdmin --no-certcheck

[7588] INFO  2017-08-08 16:29:42,056: Creating new session

[7588] INFO  2017-08-08 16:29:42,056:     Server:  xxx

[7588] INFO  2017-08-08 16:29:42,056:     Username: TableauAdmin

[7588] INFO  2017-08-08 16:29:42,057:     Site:     Studio 360

[7588] INFO  2017-08-08 16:29:59,570: Connecting to the server...

[7588] DEBUG 2017-08-08 16:29:59,575: Finished at Tue Aug 08 16:29:59 UTC 2017

I have opened a support case.

• 9. Re: Tabcmd log in statement fails
                          Tom W

I wish there was something helpful in that log file, unfortunately there isn't!

My final suggestions outside of "wait for support":

• Double check the firewall on the machine you're connecting from to make sure it's not blocking the outbound request.
                          • Make sure that the version of tabcmd you are using corresponds to the version of tableau server running on the target.
                          • 10. Re: Tabcmd log in statement fails
                            Toyba Elescione

Tom W wrote:

I'm going to have to assume those URLs are the same as I can't see them to validate. It sounds crazy but quite often people think they are typing the same thing but it's actually different.

Tabcmd does output log files which might be helpful. You should be able to find it somewhere like; C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Tableau

Also, have you tried creating a case with Tableau Support for this?

Do you know where are the logs of tabcmd located in Linux server? I'm using 2018.1 tabcmd for linux

• 11. Re: Tabcmd log in statement fails
                              Jessica Murray

Hi Laura,

Not sure if you resolved this but I just came across the same issue. It seems that tabcmd does not correctly process inputed siteIDs with spaces. Usually when you enter an invalid siteID you will be told that the site does not exist / that you do not have access, but this does not seem to occur when the input 'siteID' has a space.

So this (1) just gives the 'Connecting to server...' message and nothing else:

tabcmd login -s https://www.this-is-a-website.com -u jsmith -p password -t "Site Name with a space"

But this (2) is successful:

tabcmd login -s https://www.this-is-a-website.com -u jsmith -p password -t "OtherSite"

And this (3) gives the error message that (1) should have given, i.e. that the site with siteID "Site Name with a space" does not exist:

tabcmd login -s https://www.this-is-a-website.com -u jsmith -p password -t "SiteThatDoesNotExist"

In your example, 'Studio 360' is likely the site *name* not its siteID.

Try entering gobbledegook for a siteID, and you will be given a list of the valid sites with their names and IDs. Then try repeating your command with the siteID for 'Studio 360'. Hopefully that should work.

Hope this helps