4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 5:59 AM by Ann-Marie Massenberg

formula to match first 3 letters of text in two fields

Ann-Marie Massenberg

I'm comparing two lists of names. Both lists have last name and first name. But List B has many people with the same last name as List A, but not the same first name.

Here is the result I'm looking for:

List A and List B Last Name     List A - First Name    List B - First Name   Result

Jones                                        Nancy                         Nancy C                     Nancy

Smith                                        Jon                              Jonathan                   Jon

Davis                                         Emily                           Emily                         Emily

Clarke                                        Jane                             Cathy                       

I've been playing with Filters, but I think that I will need a formula and am not sure what the formula should be. I'm thinking that it should compare List B First Name against List A  First name and return only those records where the first three letters of List B First Name exactly match the first three letters of List A First Name.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Cheers,

AM