2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 1:04 PM by Drew Loika

Data Missing from Quickbooks Online connection

Adam Loesing

Hi all,

I recently started trying to run Quickbooks reports in Tableau using the direct connection. Unfortunately, I am getting almost nowhere with this because it appears that transaction descriptors that we use in Quickbooks are not being populated in Tableau.

For instance, we rely heavily on a "Department" column in Quickbooks to identify which department an expense is associated with. Every month, each department has a wide variety of expenses identified in Quickbooks. In Tableau, then, I attempted to aggregate Sales and Expenses with Line Item Details by Department for the previous month. This view showed only one of our departments having any transaction data attached to it, and this amount was negligible. Most of the expenses were associated with "Null" or a blank category, and when checked against the data in Quickbooks, there should have been many more transactions attached to different departments.

I am pretty comfortable with Tableau, but I have very limited experience in Quickbooks, so I don't know where to start in trying to uncover the origin of this miscommunication. Has anyone experienced a similar problem, or have any insight into whether I am doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

-Adam L.

• 1. Re: Data Missing from Quickbooks Online connection
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Adam,

Does refreshing the QuickBooks Online extract allow for the data to populate as expected in Tableau?

See here for more information on refreshing an extract: Refresh Extracts

If that does not allow for the missing values to appear, does recreating an extract from scratch in a brand new workbook allow for the values to appear as expected?

Reviewing some information on QuickBooks Online, I found the below:

Currently Tableau Desktop leverages data from the following tables in building the the dataview templates:

• Account
          • Payment
          • Bill
          • Purchase
          • Invoice
          • SalesReceipt
          • PaymentMethod
          • Item

As potential workarounds:

Option 1

Mirror the data table onto another supported data source such as Excel. For more options see: All Technical Specifications | Tableau Software

Option 2

Create an ODBC

Other Databases

Tableau and ODBC

Customizing and Tuning ODBC Connections .

Cheers

• 2. Re: Data Missing from Quickbooks Online connection
            Drew Loika

Hey Adam, I believe the behavior you're seeing is caused by limitations of the current connector. I wanted you to be aware we're working on a brand-new, significantly improved version of this connector and would love to see your feedback.

Please see: Tableau Data Connectivity Pre-Release

I would also like to highlight the pre-built content we've created along with the connector, also in beta, that recreates the P&L among other things. This is available at the above link too. Note that we're still finding and fixing issues so it's not perfect yet but we're fixing problems as fast as we find them. Please give it a try and let us know if there's anything we missed.

Best,

Drew Loika
            Product Manager - Cloud
            Tableau