6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2018 7:07 PM by Josh Jacobson

Data Missing from Quickbooks Online connection

Adam Loesing

Hi all,

I recently started trying to run Quickbooks reports in Tableau using the direct connection. Unfortunately, I am getting almost nowhere with this because it appears that transaction descriptors that we use in Quickbooks are not being populated in Tableau.

For instance, we rely heavily on a "Department" column in Quickbooks to identify which department an expense is associated with. Every month, each department has a wide variety of expenses identified in Quickbooks. In Tableau, then, I attempted to aggregate Sales and Expenses with Line Item Details by Department for the previous month. This view showed only one of our departments having any transaction data attached to it, and this amount was negligible. Most of the expenses were associated with "Null" or a blank category, and when checked against the data in Quickbooks, there should have been many more transactions attached to different departments.

I am pretty comfortable with Tableau, but I have very limited experience in Quickbooks, so I don't know where to start in trying to uncover the origin of this miscommunication. Has anyone experienced a similar problem, or have any insight into whether I am doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

-Adam L.

• 1. Re: Data Missing from Quickbooks Online connection
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Adam,

Does refreshing the QuickBooks Online extract allow for the data to populate as expected in Tableau?

See here for more information on refreshing an extract: Refresh Extracts

If that does not allow for the missing values to appear, does recreating an extract from scratch in a brand new workbook allow for the values to appear as expected?

Reviewing some information on QuickBooks Online, I found the below:

Currently Tableau Desktop leverages data from the following tables in building the the dataview templates:

• Account
          • Payment
          • Bill
          • Purchase
          • Invoice
          • SalesReceipt
          • PaymentMethod
          • Item

As potential workarounds:

Option 1

Mirror the data table onto another supported data source such as Excel. For more options see: All Technical Specifications | Tableau Software

Option 2

Create an ODBC

Other Databases

Tableau and ODBC

Customizing and Tuning ODBC Connections .

Cheers

• 2. Re: Data Missing from Quickbooks Online connection
            Drew Loika

Hey Adam, I believe the behavior you're seeing is caused by limitations of the current connector. I wanted you to be aware we're working on a brand-new, significantly improved version of this connector and would love to see your feedback.

Please see: Tableau Data Connectivity Pre-Release

I would also like to highlight the pre-built content we've created along with the connector, also in beta, that recreates the P&L among other things. This is available at the above link too. Note that we're still finding and fixing issues so it's not perfect yet but we're fixing problems as fast as we find them. Please give it a try and let us know if there's anything we missed.

Best,

Drew Loika
            Product Manager - Cloud
            Tableau

• 3. Re: Data Missing from Quickbooks Online connection
              Emily Kuhns

Hi Drew,

I'm experiencing similar issues of missing data. Mainly because we have Journal Entry transactions and those are being omitted from the data import.

The link that you provided above is no longer working so I was wondering if you guys rolled out the new connector?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Data Missing from Quickbooks Online connection
                Don Wise

Hi Emily,

Below are the steps for connecting to Quickbooks. The new connector should be out of pre-release and now available to you through Tableau Desktop by clicking on more (screenshot below) and then Quickbooks Online.

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 9.23.43 AM.png

Make the connection and set up a data source

1. Start Tableau and under Connect, select Intuit QuickBooks Online. For a complete list of data connections, select More under To a Server. In the tab Tableau opens in your default browser, do the following:
                    1. Enter your email address or user ID and password for your QuickBooks Online account.
                    2. Select Sign In.QuickBooks Online periodically prompts for two-step verification. If this happens, follow the prompts to get a code to confirm your Intuit account.
                    3. If more than one company is associated with your account, select the company you want to connect to.
                    4. Select Authorize to authorize Intuit to securely share your data with Tableau Desktop.
                  If Tableau can't make the connection, verify that your credentials are correct. If you still can't connect, your computer is having trouble locating the server. Contact your network administrator or database administrator.
                2. On the data source page, do the following:
                  1. (Optional) Select the default data source name at the top of the page, and then enter a unique data source name for use in Tableau. For example, use a data source naming convention that helps other users of the data source figure out which data source to connect to.
                  2. Under Table, select a table and drag it to the top of the canvas.
                  3. Select the Sheet 1 tab to start your analysis.After you select the sheet tab, Tableau imports the data by creating an extract. Note that Tableau Desktop supports only extracts for QuickBooks Online. You can update the data by refreshing the extract. For more information, see Extract Your Data.Creating extracts may take some time depending on the amount of data that is included.
                • 5. Re: Data Missing from Quickbooks Online connection
                  Brat Pit

The sheet tab where it will manage the part where it is the valuable part where it will be going to get the most of the part that will manage tohttps://microsoftsupport.co/microsoft-support/contact Microsoft for the analysis after the authorize the work for the user.

• 6. Re: Data Missing from Quickbooks Online connection
                    Josh Jacobson

What's the status of the data connector Drew? I still find there is data that isn't included.