4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 11:50 AM by Jeffrey Kritzman

Creating a Published Data Source from another Published Data Source

Jeffrey Kritzman

Hi All,

I've been getting pretty deep into the world of published data sources, and have perhaps an odd need.  What I want to do is have two versions of the same published data source, with one having additional columns (with sensitive/confidential data).  The smaller data source would have looser security, and the data source with sensitive data would be more locked down. 

My first thought was to create a second published data source, using the sensitive data source as the input.  I connected to the sensitive data source and added a filter, but I couldn't publish this as a separate data source. 

I'm currently just publishing each of them separately, but was hoping for something a little more automated, as it's a big extract so it takes a long time to refresh, and this workflow doubles my processing time.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
      Jeff

• 1. Re: Creating a Published Data Source from another Published Data Source
          Michael Gillespie

So many questions...!

1) Are these 2 data sources "fronted" by different workbooks/dashboards, or is the same dashboard being connected to one or other of the data sources depending on who is opening the dashboard?

2) Is there no way you can take advantage of Tableau's security model to limit the visibility of certain columns to differing subsets of users?  Tableau can handle either row-level or column-level security, but the approaches are slightly different.

That will do for now - more questions depending on the answers to those!

As to your specific question, I haven't tried to do what you're proposing but I think you are correct: you can't create an extract from an extract.  I hate to say "never", though, as I'm usually contradicted by people who know their way around tabcmd much better than I do!  Have you looked at that?

Can you just duplicate the extract and then add a filter to the copy?  Or am I missing something about what you're trying to do?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating a Published Data Source from another Published Data Source
            Jeffrey Kritzman

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the quick response!

1) These two data sources are coming from the same workbook, but are separate.  The data source doesn't change based on who's logged in, but who's logged in determines whether they have access to the report that uses the sensitive data.

2) This was an interesting question that helped me research more options!  Row-level security won't work, as each row has sensitive data.  Based on my searching, there doesn't seem to be a way to filter by column based on security.  I know how to filter within a report (i.e. filter based on who logs into Tableau Server), but this filtering would be for people with Tableau Desktop.  I.e. it's not the end report I'm worried about, it's other Tableau publishers within my organization that shouldn't have access to certain data. 

I haven't used tabcmd, and am a bit leery that I might accidentally blow something up, but I'm game for trying anything once

Yep, my current workflow is to use a duplicated extract that I filter / hide columns in.

Thanks for your help!
            Jeff

• 3. Re: Creating a Published Data Source from another Published Data Source
              Michael Gillespie

Glad that sparked some thinking, even if it isn't a solution!

Does the last comment in this thread provide any help?

https://community.tableau.com/ideas/3274

Even if it doesn't, I'd encourage you to vote up the idea.

• 4. Re: Creating a Published Data Source from another Published Data Source
                Jeffrey Kritzman

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the link - upvoted!  I'll have to think about the last comment in that thread.  It could definitely be an option, but isn't necessarily easier than what I'm doing now   While the group of Tableau Desktop users who should have access is very small, there are many more end users who would need access, so maintenance might end up being an issue...

Thanks again

Jeff