Games of thrones
I have completely redone the viz, I did for my first participation to the Iron Viz last April, adding some new stats and changing the format. I also updated the datasource with the characters' genealogical data, the number of lines told during the show, military strengths... ( some hours adding lines in EXCEL) .
1. I added information about the previous Iron Kings: their ancestors, their reign duration but also if they were the fruit of an incestuous relationship. A poor diversity in their family tree or an incestuous family tree tend to reduce their reign duration.
2. At the original study about the localisation of the battles during the 5 kings war, I added an analysis on the defender and attacker skills for each of the five kings involved on the original five kings war, giving it much more substance. With the new version of tableau, I could merge several shape files and represent better the battles. ( I am waiting to have access to Tableau version 10.4 in order to draw the routes and the Wall on the Westeros map..)
3. Concerning the Crown favourite, I have reshaped entirely the presentation and added for each favourite their military strenghts and special assets (dragons, direwolves,ships...), but also the number of lines that each has pronounced during the first 6 seasons of Games of Throne, and as you can see there were for some of them a sharp improvement. The data about the survival analysis are coming from a real statistical study ( see sources at the end of the first article or directly on the viz, clicking on the wolf).
4. at least, I reshaped the information about the major Houses, their dominion and military strengths, so you have a global view of what is going on. The last map, shows very clarely that the White Walkers are in large numbers and the military forces of the on going battles...
I hope you enjoy it. Tableau Public
The Datasets used in these analyses were found online and/ or created by GoT's fans (including myself):
- Myles O'Neil : www.kaggle.com/mylesoneill/game-of-thrones
- Chris Albon's : https://github.com/chrisalbon/war_of_the_five_kings_dataset . Its a great collection of all of the battles in the series.
- Erin Pierce and Ben Kahle, who created a dataset as a part of their Bayesian Survival Analysis : http://allendowney.blogspot.com/2015/03/bayesian-survival-analysis-for-game-of.html
- For information about characters : http://awoiaf.westeros.org/; the methodology about which character will die can be found here: https://got.show/machine-learning-algorithm-predicts-death-game-of-thrones
- other characters or battles informations were found online in http://fr.gameofthrones.wikia.com
-the twitter data comes from the web connector published online by Alex Ross : http://tableaujunkie.com/post/119681578798/creating-a-twitter-web-data-connector
- the spacial files connector used in the political and battle map were made using several shape files from https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=30472
- the number of lines by character during the show are coming from : https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/4s2n6z/tv_characters_by_number_of_spoken_lines_in_game/