11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2017 2:09 AM by Prayson Wilfred Daniel

Filter out "*" character

Beau Bellamy

I am using Tableau 10.1

For some unknown reason, some bright spark in our IT department decided to use a * for some unknown data values for many of the fields. I have emailed them to see if they can change it to a null, but this will likely take some time. So in the mean time I am trying to filter out the data with "*". Ideally I would like it filtered out at the extract stage, but when I try this, the * character doesn't appear a selection I can filter out, presumably because it is being treated as a wildcard. I've tried creating a calculated field to extract the character and replace it with a null or some known characters that can later be filtered out, but the field still doesn't seem to read the "*" as a character.

I've tried to create a small anonymous subset data source to include in a tableau workbook to show you, but in creating this, the "*" character becomes visible in the filter selection so this bypasses my problem. However, I have included it to show the data structures.

My problem is that the * character isn't visible in any of the filter stages. Is there a way to treat this character AS a character rather than a wildcard, and then filter it out of the view?