5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2017 7:17 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Combine Text table and pie chart in the same worksheet for Downloading as an PDF Report

MANOJ PRABHAKAR

Hi all,

This is my requirement

is there a way to combine text tables and pie charts/donut chart in same sheet

I know it can be done in a dashboard but i dont want that or any actions because i'm not going to send the workbook daily to my manager ..he just wants the PDF Report and the requirement is text table and pie chart need to be shown in the same sheet(please see the attached image.that is what i want)

PFA:Workbook

show both detailed timings and in/out hours in same worksheet ie..

Please reply

• 1. Re: Combine Text tables and pie charts/donut chart in same worksheet
          Tom W

Create a dashboard and put both sheets on the dashboard. You can then hide the individual sheets.

• 2. Re: Combine Text tables and pie charts/donut chart in same worksheet
            Joe Oppelt

Tom has it right.

And when you download to PDF, you can specify to download the whole dashboard or individual sheets, so you can get all those sheets onto one PDF by specifying dashboard.

• 3. Re: Combine Text tables and pie charts/donut chart in same worksheet
              MANOJ PRABHAKAR

thanks a lot Tom W and Joe Oppelt for your replies..

I know it can be done in a dashboard but i dont want that or any actions because i'm not going to send the workbook daily to my manager ..he just wants the PDF Report and the requirement is text table and pie chart need to be shown in the same sheet(please see the attached image.that is what i want)

please see the attached image as i have shown what is my req

Need to show Pie / donut for each employees with their total in time and out time.

Guys how to calculate the total in and out times and make them a pie chart for each employee

I want the chart to reflect in/out as wedges at the individual employee level

hi Jonathan Drummey

Kindly go through this and please give your feedback

• 4. Re: Combine Text tables and pie charts/donut chart in same worksheet
                Tom W

Manoj,

Please don't go tagging other Ambassadors as a means to bring more attention to your post. It creates a lot of noise when we get tagged in every post because you want to draw attention to yourself.

Using a dashboard doesn't mean you have to use actions.

The problem with what you're asking is that it's not possible. I understand this is your requirement, but you can't do it.

In your text table, you can't show row level information for each of the start times, then show one big pie chart for each employee. Take a look at this;

You effectively have to show one chart per blue square I'm showing. You could repeat the pie chart per employee many times, but that probably won't be suitable either.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Combine Text tables and pie charts/donut chart in same worksheet
                  Jonathan Drummey

Hi Manoj,

I understand that you're trying to meet the letter of the requirement and are reaching out for a "second opinion"... here's mine:

Don't use Tableau to meet this exact requirement. The reason why is that Tableau was fundamentally designed to support interactive visualization & analysis of data and what your manager is asking for is a PDF tabular report with a pie chart for each employee and that's not what Tableau was built to do.

Here are a couple of explanations in more detail as to why I have that opinion: 1) Though the basic way to put a text table and pie chart in Tableau is to use two worksheets in a dashboard, given N employees that leads to separate scrollbars that a) are independent of one another and b) they won't print out because when Tableau renders dashboards to PDF it doesn't render the scrollbars. One goal of business intelligence dashboards is to show "information at a glance" and that means having the information all on one screen, so Tableau isn't designed to support rendering dashboards to PDF & paginating them.

2) While I can imagine a complicated data preparation process that would enable the text table and pie chart to live in the same worksheet when Tableau renders that worksheet to PDF it's not going to have all of the same kind of control over page breaks, headers, etc. that you can get from a traditional tabular reporting tool. Again, Tableau was designed for interactive analysis on screens, not to fully replace traditional reporting.

If someone really wants to use Tableau (or I'm in my role as a consultant helping them use Tableau) then where I go to from here is to look behind the requirements and ask more detailed questions about what the goals and next actions are. For example your manager might be trying to identify staff who are taking longer breaks than desired, or identify staff who are tardy or leave early, etc. and there can be visualizations that a) help answer those questions better than a text table and b) are easier to build in Tableau.  The way I approach this is to talk to the people making the requests with the attitude that I'm trying to help them do their job better.

And sometimes we get stuck having to meet those requirements, one of the reasons why I contributed to VizAlerts https://github.com/tableau/VizAlerts was to support this kind of use case. If you've got Tableau Server then VizAlerts could be configured to render a dashboard for each employee to PDF and then merge all the PDFs. A commercial alternative would be something like Metric Insights.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful