7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 9:05 AM by Jim Dehner

Inventory costs and dimension editing

Zach Ferris

Hi, my name is Zack.

I'm relatively new to Tableau, I went through the training modules when I started using this software but now that I'm using it in a practical setting I'm finding myself hitting a wall.  So here we go:

If I filter a dimension, can I save it as a new dimension? I am uploading from an excel file and the column contains all of our product IDs. I would like to create separate lists of products to work with, how do I do this?

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Inventory costs and dimension editing
          Zach Ferris

I accidentally clicked "Assumed Answered" please help!

• 2. Re: Inventory costs and dimension editing
            Jim Dehner

Hi Zach

I would like to understand better what your are trying to do with your workbook - could you attach it in a TWBX format that includes your data.

On the surface there would be no need to create a separate dimension of filtered product id's - you would just apply the filters the whatever sheet you are working on - that is unless I'm missing something

Also the product Id would be the most likely link that you would use to join or blend data from different sources so it would be part of each sheet anyway

If you goal on the other hand is to create a file similar to an Item Master in Oracle or SAP you would have a data source that was the Item Master data and link that to other data through a join on the product ID on each sheet

does that help

Jim

• 3. Re: Inventory costs and dimension editing
              Zach Ferris

My data set includes patient information. I suppose I could delete those entries for purposes of sending this, but the reason why I believe I need separate dimensions is because these products come in tiers. I would like to separate tiers 1-5 and when I filtered tier 1, then brought in the product dimension again in the hopes to filter that to apply tier 2 it only let me work with the current edits. Another problem that I am running into is that I want an order count of tier 1, not every single product with its appropriate count like it does when I filter it. Do I need to filter and then create a calculated field?

• 4. Re: Inventory costs and dimension editing
                Zach Ferris

Also, I didn't have any joins or blends because it just came from a monthly Sales Order .xlsx file. Basically, these were all easy computations I performed using sums and averages through excel, but I wanted to represent it visually in Tableau while also getting more used to the product. Maybe create a dashboard with the information as opposed to a word document with a summary of my calculations.

• 5. Re: Inventory costs and dimension editing
                  Jim Dehner

Hi Zach

Is it correct that each of your products can be associated with a tier (1 through 5) - and that you have a way of apply filter(s) to the data that will result in grouping the products properly into the appropriate tier?

If that is the case there are a couple of ways to go -

1 - my first choice would would be to load into Tableau a file with product ID and the Tier number is separate columns - the item master type model - that data set could be blended or joined to other files through the product id and then the tier number could be used in filters or calculations directly

2 - you can create Groups - manually

The groups can be used as filters or in calculations

3 you can create groups directly from your filtered data

create your view

select the product ID at the top of the list

shift click the bottom member to highlight all the members

right click and select "group" then follow the path to assign name

you would repeat for each tier -

Then your product Id's would be grouped

Now all that said - depending on how your data is structured or the number of data sources there could be issues

that is why we like to see the data below is a link that will show how to provide anonymity

Anonymize your Tableau Package Data for Sharing

Let me know if this helps

Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Inventory costs and dimension editing
                    Zach Ferris

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• 7. Re: Inventory costs and dimension editing
                      Jim Dehner

You are welcome

Keep in mind that Tableau and excel are fundamental different in the way they work - excel is cell oriented and you create formulas that take the value from one cell and add or multiply etc with the value of another

Tableau is database oriented and you are working with a dimension (think like an entire column of data in excel) and you are applying math or logic calculation based on the individual records of the entire column - (it is kind of like copying an excel formula over the entire length of the column)

So what - well that gives you a lot of flexibility in how you keep your data and how you present your results - when you bring a dimension into a view you bring all the values with it - filtering just limits the amount you show but the data is still there in an table that lies beneath the view (the so called underlying table) - you can place the dimension directly on the view, apply it to the shapes or the color for example and get a 3rd or 4th level of detail in a 2 dimensional chart

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.