2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 12:36 PM by Jenny Sanders

How to get the dates from a date filter

Jenny Sanders

Hi All,

I have 2 date fields - Start Date and End Date. I want to see all the dates that are effective between

[Start Date <=Today and End Date >= Today]. If I put this into filter i only get True/False. But don't want the binary options. Want to see the actual dates that fall in this range.

Suppose Start date = 3/3/2016 and End Date is 3/8/2016. So would be able to see "3/4/2016 to 3/7/2016" as a list .

Is this possible to achieve in tableau ?

I have been trying to achieve this for the last 2 days but not able to do so.

Any guidance in the right direction would be appreciated !

Thanks,

J

• 1. Re: How to get the dates from a date filter
          Stephen Rizzo

Do you have a row in your data for every date between [Start Date] and [End Date]? If not, it sounds like you will need to join in a date table that does have a row for each date. If you do already have that, then you can do this with three filters. Call the field with the date for each row [Date]:

Filter 1 on calculated field [Start Date Filter] : [Date] >= [Start Date] set to TRUE

Filter 2 on calculated field [End Date Filter] : [Date] <= [End Date] set to TRUE

Filter 3 on [Date], selecting "Range of Dates". If you want this to appear as a list, make sure the pill in your filters is set to "Discrete" (blue).

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to get the dates from a date filter
            Jenny Sanders

Yeah, I don't have a row for every date that falls between the Start date and End Date. I am pursuing the workaround of joining a date table.

Thanks for your reply.