2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 11:31 PM by Amit Narkar

Adding a reference line to a discrete date x-axis

Tim Cady

As mentioned in the title, I'm trying to add a reference line my discrete date axis. I've seen it mentioned that this could be accomplished by using a calculated field but I'm not clear on the process.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Adding a reference line to a discrete date x-axis
          Sukhdeep Kaur

Hi Tim,

I have attached a .twbx file. Please have a look and let me know is this You are looking for?

• 2. Re: Adding a reference line to a discrete date x-axis
            Amit Narkar

Hi Tim

Is there anything you wish to achieve using reference line on discrete date axis.

Quick thoughts

1. Convert your date to continuous part and using format option you can show relevant date.

You can see a black reference line which you can set to any desired value once you have date as continuous and using format option I have converted to quarter numbers 1,2,3,4 as Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4.

2. If you dont wish to convert X axis to continuous ; other option I can think of create calculated field and decide where you want to place reference in above example, I have created field to show Sales in August as reference line.

Create a dual axis chart. Change the mark size of your reference bar to make it appear as line.

Personally I would suggest 1st option in terms of convenience.

Please find the attached workbook for your reference.

1 of 1 people found this helpful