6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2017 7:21 AM by Jim Dehner

Map - zoom on city

Anne Renaudeau

Hi,

I made a map on Tableau, I would like to have the data for each country and propose to the user to zoom on the city data.

How can I do that ? With a filter ?

Thanks for your help,

• 1. Re: Map - zoom on city
          Jim Dehner

Hi Anne

First I hope your data is at the City level and aggregates to the state and country levels

The usual way to do what you want is to take advantage of Tableau's location hierarchy see below

Create the map by dragging the state to the canvas and the data to the color tile on the marks card

Duplicate the map on another sheet and drill down to city

you can now put the worksheets together on a dashboard and use the state map to filter to the city map

This should get you pointed in a good direction

let me know if this helps

Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Map - zoom on city
            Anne Renaudeau

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your answer.

I can do this map in one dashboard but how can I do a link between both (if I select Illinois in the first, the second show me the cities of this state)?

Thanks,

Anne

• 3. Re: Map - zoom on city
              Michael Gillespie

Anne, you need to enable Filtering on the State map on the dashboard.  In Jim's example above, there are 3 small icons on the top right corner of the State Level viz:

The middle icon is a toggle: in this example it is dark grey, which means "Enabled".  This is the Filter toggle.  If it's white, it means "Disabled".  This makes the state map an interactive filter for other vizzes on the same dashboard.  It creates a Dashboard Action that you can control via the Dashboard->Actions... menu item.

Here, if you click on Illinois, it filters the second viz (city level) to show the City points for Illinois.

• 4. Re: Map - zoom on city
                Jim Dehner

hi Anne

in the State sheet on the dashboard below - in the upper right corner there is a funnel icon - click it and it becomes a filter for both sheets - now when you click on the state - like illinois the city map will filter

Let me know if you have other questions

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 5. Re: Map - zoom on city
                  Anne Renaudeau

Perfect!

Thanks Jim and Michael it's now ok for me.

• 6. Re: Map - zoom on city
                    Jim Dehner

Glad to help out Anne

Jim