7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 5:35 AM by Royce Magnusson

Content discovery on Mobile

Shweta Jindal

Hi All,

I am looking for ideas to improve our mobile app experience to enable users to find the content (workbooks, projects, sheets etc) they are looking for. I was wondering if any users want to share their current content discovery experience, and willing to chat with me for a few minutes. Please let me know.

-Shweta

• 1. Re: Content discovery on Mobile

Raising this thread to give it more visibility.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Content discovery on Mobile
            Robin Kennedy

Hello Shweta,

Here is a bit of feedback from my use of the mobile app:

• I should be able to see sheets OR workbooks, not a mix of both in the navigation
            • Sometimes I don't care about the thumbnails, i just want to see a list of workbook names
            • The servername: sitename breadcrumb at the top is great, but my server name is long and I cannot see the site I'm in
              • oddly, if I choose a dashboard and then go back to the navigation menu, this appears nicely as the servername is truncated
            • I'd like to sort by number of views / popularity
            • I'd like to filter by dashboards that have a device specific view

Hope that's helpful

Robin

• 3. Re: Content discovery on Mobile
              Royce Magnusson

Shweta,

To tag along with Robin's comment about sheets or workbooks, I would prefer to only see workbooks or to have the ability to set a default filter to show workbooks only. I also would like to send a link to a workbook and have the ability to open up in the Tableau app on a mobile device.

-Royce

• 4. Re: Content discovery on Mobile
                Shweta Jindal

Hi Robin,

Thanks so much for taking time to write this feedback. One quick question - are you an IOS or android user? 

Few comments below (for IOS devices )

1) Are you familiar with the filter option on the top? you can filter by format - i.e workbooks or sheets. Here is the link: (Dropbox - Filtering by Format Tableau Mobile App.mov ). Do you think this solves your problem or are you looking for something different? Please share your thoughts.

2) If you use mobile app on tablets, there is an option to toggle between thumbnail and list view. This feature is not there on mobile devices yet.

3) This feedback is valuable. I will look into it.

4) Yes, thats a good idea. I am looking into this. We provide a lot of sort options - do you use all of them? If so, what is your current experience like?

5) Another great idea. We have heard this from multiple customers.

I'd be happy to jump on a call with you to learn more about your current experience. Please let me know if you are open and I can setup some time. Thanks again for helping us improve tableau products!

Thanks,

Shweta

• 5. Re: Content discovery on Mobile
                  Robin Kennedy

Hi Shweta,

You're welcome, and thanks for your responses.

I hadn't noticed the filter by format option, that does get to where I want, but it's a few 'clicks' for what I would like to be the default. It doesn't remember my filter options when closing and then opening the app so I have to do this each time. I often have a workbook with a name like "Sales report" and then within that workbook there is a dashboard also called "Sales report". So seeing both together next to each other the in the list by default is confusing.

Perhaps it's just a personal preference rather than something that 'should' be the behaviour for all users, although Royce above seems to have the same comment. This is how we're used to the navigation on Tableau Server through a web browser too.

Happy to jump on a call with you if that's helpful! I'm on UK time.

• 6. Re: Content discovery on Mobile
                    Shweta Jindal

Hi Royce,

Thanks for the feedback. We allow users to filter by format - i.e workbooks or sheet. Please refer to this link: Dropbox - Filtering by Format Tableau Mobile App.mov  Does this help or were you looking for something different?

In regards to sending a link to workbook and viewing it on the tableau app -- we released v1 universal linking feature in 10.3. (New Features) Please try it and let me know what you think.

Hope this helps!

-Shweta

• 7. Re: Content discovery on Mobile
                      Royce Magnusson

Hi Shweta,

I know how to filter by format, however I would like to be able to set a default to just show only workbooks on the Tableau app. I believe that Robin is asking for the same behavior.

Great news about 10.3 and sending a link and viewing in the Tableau app. We are getting the upgrade next month.

-Royce