4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 8:14 AM by Courtney Drake

URL actions crash Tableau if the URL points to a .pdf file

Stephen Black

I've been experimenting with a Tableau worksheet that analyses Twitter content. On the worksheet I can see the content of tweets with expanded URLs (as  provided by a twitter download) alongside the tweets. A URL action is triggered by selecting the URL. But is consistently crashes Tableau (10.3 and the latest 10.2) if the URL selected points to a link that is a .pdf file.

The crash is preceded by an adobe warning that pdf can't be viewed in the document. If you click OK tableau crashes. The Adobe window looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 16.19.56.png

In this case the URL is https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/320075/smalleracuteproviders-report.pdf  but the effect happens for any URL pointing to a pdf as far as I can tell.

I can avoid the problem some of the time by filtering the URL content, but some links are not fully expanded (if they use non-twitter URL shortening tools) and will still crash.

Is there any other way to work around this bug or to fix in it in the way Tableau handles URL actions?