1 of 1 people found this helpful
Questions about your post:
My team is working on bringing text editing (e.g. editing of dashboard text objects) to the web. We will also be adding more expressiveness like images and bulleted lists to Tableau text in the future.
Is this only being added to the web editing module, or will Desktop see these changes too?
When you say 'Tableau text' are you referring to ALL text boxes, object, etc. in ALL versions of the Tableau product line? Or just the web editing?
Thank you for your question, Shawn. Right now, we are working on bringing text editing capabilities on the web. We are starting with web text editing of dashboard text objects, and have plans to bring web text editing to most text boxes in the web over the next few quarters. These include titles, annotations, tooltips, captions etc.
New expressiveness capabilities like images and lists are planned for both desktop and web for most text boxes (like dashboard text objects, titles, tooltips, captions etc.). Hope this helps!
Thanks for the clarification. Please let me know when your team (or another team) decides to fix the formatting in your Desktop product. Thanks,
Here is what I would like to have:
- In a heat map, the coloring of the grand totals be based on the grand total values only, and not the individual values shown.
- From an annotations point of view, it would be nice if it can be made dynamic based on the data values.
- We should be able to change the color of the Blank object, or leave it transparent as it is currently.
- How about providing a line object on the dashboard? This will enable us to draw lines on a dashboard.
- We should be able to change the default square shapes on the color legend.
- For maps, how about providing a tiled map option also for country and state/county levels?
- What about a tooltip for the dashboard and worksheet titles?
- Tooltips for images also.
- Provision of hyphenated lines in a line chart.
- Provision to control which worksheet to show and/or hide. This will be really useful when we want to have multiple worksheets with different views all placed on a dashboard and controlled by a parameter.
- Provision to add multiple dashboards/worksheets/other-objects on a story.
Hope you can get them done soon.
Hi Shawn, I would love to hear a bit more about what desktop Formatting issues are most painful for you right now. Could you please share some of the top things you would like to see fixed?
Thank you for the fantastic list of potential improvements you shared with us Hari - much appreciated!
Keeping it limited to text and/or formatting, here's my quick list:
- A button to "Remove All" for borders and lines. I often find myself going through and clicking "None" for most of these choices.
- Let us format filters or parameters individually. I really don't care to have ALL of my filters looks the same, and ALL of my parameters look the same.
- Let me remove the tooltip for trend lines please! My users really don't care about R-squared and P value.
- If I've got a dual axis, it'd be nice to format the axis font with a "Match to Mark Color" option.
- Dynamic scaling of font size for different devices
- Let me expand the title size of a filter, rather than requiring I double the height in order to word wrap
- I'd like to change the alignment of my axis titles
- I'd like a way to easily import custom fonts
- It'd be cool to rotate headers to something other than strictly horizonal or vertical
- When changing the default number format to Custom, I'd love to see all of the blank space in the dialog box used for some sort of legend or preview of what my formatting will look like!
- Can we get dynamic column or row height please?
Thanks for listening!
Thank you so much for sharing these ideas, Vincent. Many of these are on our radar and we hope to work on them in the future.
4 of 4 people found this helpful
In no particular order:
- Allow us to paste Word formatted text into any text box, and honor the formatting -- including tables.
- Allow us to format filters, parameters, reference lines, legends individually.
- Allow us to format and size Readout displays for filters and parameters (individually).
- Stop bringing up the wrong formatting tab (axis vs. pane) when using right-click format option
- Support columns within Tooltips and let each column wrap within the row/cell
- Support a ‘special justified’ paragraph type where number fields can be justified to the right and the Dimension labels justified to the left (with a tab separating them. (https://community.tableau.com/ideas/4941)
- Spell-check all text in all text entry points
- Edit and format statistical summary tooltip
- Use wrap instead of truncate for most everything (or at least give us that option).
- Allow us to space individual items in a horizontal color legend so we don’t have to set the space for the longest label (think: ‘3M’ and ‘3-ring staple pack’ and ‘BIC’)
Essentially, if it contains text on a worksheet or dashboard, the designer should have complete and total control of how it displays! No text should ever appear on a dashboard that a designer can not change the formatting (including paragraph wrapping) for that individual text.
Thank you very much for the list - we appreciate it.
For #3, my team is planning to release a feature called Spacing later this year. It will enable you to control white space, borders, and background shading for all dashboard items including blank objects.
Perfect. That should do. Thanks.