3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2017 8:01 PM by Joe Oppelt

How to hide a worksheet based on a user / selection in a dashboard ?

na.seth

All,

I have a customized visual. It has a background image, which changes based on a parameter selection. I have layered sheets hovering on top of the underlying image resembling the underlying color. Those sheets are tied to actions.

Eventually user gets a feel that he/she clicks on a specific part of an image which navigates to a different dashboard in the same workbook.

So far so good. here comes a challenge !

Scenario :

Change the underlying image based on the users / a parameter selection

Problem :

Underlying image changes based on a selection but its difficult to control the hovering sheets that are above those visual.

Are there any suggestions to enable (make the sheets appear) or disable (disappear / hide) the sheet (hovering sheets) from a dashboard based on a parameter selection or user ?

Thanks,

Nathaniel

• 1. Re: How to hide a worksheet based on a user / selection in a dashboard ?
          Joe Oppelt

Need some clarity.

Are you saying that you have sheets with different images, and they constitute the background of your dashboard, and under varying circumstances you display one or another background sheet?

From your description it seems that you have those background sheets layered exactly on top of one another, and you want cursor access to those underlying sheets, but the topmost sheet blocks your access to the ones beneath it.

Is that what you have?

• 2. Re: How to hide a worksheet based on a user / selection in a dashboard ?
            na.seth

Hi Joe,

I have first worksheet with a background image.

I have a second, third and fourth worksheets which are layered exactly on top of the first worksheet. The purpose of the second, 3rd and fourth worksheets are to link their specific target dashboards(those specific dashboards have a heavier customization and are completely different from one another). Those 2nd, 3rd and 4th worksheets would resemble the underlying image's color. Those 2nd, 3rd and 4th worksheets are placed at different areas of the underlying image and not against each other.

So when the underlying image changes, its very apparent and visible to the user that those 2nd, 3rd and 4th sheets are floating. So I want to avoid that scenario. So I need to hide those 2nd , 3rd and 4th sheets all together.

I don't want a cursor access to the underlying sheets but hide the 2nd, 3rd and 4th worksheets all together. once I hide it, depending on the underlying image change I want to have other sheets enabled at different places of the dashboard.

• 3. Re: How to hide a worksheet based on a user / selection in a dashboard ?
              Joe Oppelt

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing this.

Can you hack up a superstore workbook that simulates what you have?  It doesn't mean I need your actual data.  It's about the interaction of the sheets and dashboards, so can you hack up fake sheets that are positioned the way you are describing?  And hacked up dashboards with faked up sheets as well.  And I would guess we don't really need 4 of these.  For the sake of making the functionality work the way you need, probably just two sheets and dashboards would be enough to work out the functionality you need.

I can work with you in any tableau version you are using.  Just let me know what you version you are using.