4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2017 2:08 PM by SANDIP SHARMA

what exactly happens if i publish a workbook with live connection to the server

Aditya Bhosarekar

Hi,

I am pretty curious how differently does Tableau treat a workbook when you publish a workbook with live connection to the server against a workbook with an extract.

How are the user authorizations handled in both cases ? how is the flow different ?what are the processes in the background that happen and differ in each case ?

• 1. Re: what exactly happens if i publish a workbook with live connection to the server
          SANDIP SHARMA

Hi Aditya,

Actually it depends on case to case.

Scenario 1:  You have a database MSSQL and you have created an extract using SQL credentials and during the publishing of the extract you have to be sure whether you want to embed your credentials or not,

1.1 in case of "Yes".

Published the extract and used the same in your workbook to create the dashboard in this case You are using Published extract in your workbook as live connection. And published newly created dashboard to server for end user.

1. In this case no authentication will take place (for any users) because you have embedded your SQL credentials with your workbook.

2. In case of Extract refresh Tableau Server will authenticate your credentials with SQL server.

1.2 In case of "No" and set your Extract as "Prompt to user"

Published the extract and used the same in your workbook to create the dashboard in this case You are using Published extract in your workbook as live connection. And published newly created dashboard to server for end user.

1. In this case authentication will take place (for any users) because you have not embedded your SQL credentials with your workbook, whenever user will hit to your dashboard they will be prompted for User / Password of SQL server. They will not be able to access your dashboard without entering credentials.

Scenario 2:  You have a database MSSQL and you have created a meta deta connection (Live Connection)using SQL credentials and during the publishing of the connection , you have to be sure whether you want to embed your credentials or not,

Again same thing will happen for live connection with Extract which was happening for With Extract Connection.

• 3. Re: what exactly happens if i publish a workbook with live connection to the server
            Aditya Bhosarekar

Sandip, i am not publishing my extract or data source . I simply want the comparison between the following cases

1) My radio button in the workbook is on extract and i publish the workbook

2) MY radio button is on live and i publish the workbook.

How will my users who use the workbook feel the difference in both cases.

• 4. Re: what exactly happens if i publish a workbook with live connection to the server
              SANDIP SHARMA

Hi Aditya,

Now your question is little different.

Case1: In this case they will good performance of the dashboard as workbook is using in memory data which is extract which is based on columnar storage concept.

Case2: In this case performance of the dashboard will be dependent on response of database and design of the dashboard. In case 2 you are using live connection.

Hope this is clear now.