4 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2017 1:39 PM by Tom Tibbeau

Issues refreshing an extract that is not a published data source

Tom Tibbeau

Hi All,

I have created an extract that is connected to a SQL table that is refreshed daily.

I do not want to publish this data source to the Server (normally would but not for this scenario) and would like the workbook that is published to the server to refresh daily.

I have published the workbook and set a refresh schedule. When going to the workbook on the Server it says that it is on a refresh schedule, yet the data is not updating.

Any thoughts on why this would occur?

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: Issues refreshing an extract that is not a published data source
          SANDIP SHARMA

Hi Tom,

Could you please elaborate more, as I am unable to understand what you did with workbook and how you it is schedued to server.

• 2. Re: Issues refreshing an extract that is not a published data source
            Tom Tibbeau

Hi Sandip,

Thanks for the reply.

My workbook is connected to three extracts (none of which are Tableau Server published data sources).

I set a refresh schedule when publishing the workbook to the server as shown in the image below.

Normally, when I publish the data sources to the server I am able to successfully refresh the data daily. But when the workbook is using extracts found on my local drive they do not refresh (even with the schedule made). I checked Tableau server and it says that the workbook is on a refresh schedule, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Do I need to publish the data sources to the server for them to refresh? Or is there a way to get the schedule to work on extracts that are not published data sources?

Tableau Server Image.PNG

Thanks,

Tom

• 3. Re: Issues refreshing an extract that is not a published data source
              SANDIP SHARMA

Hi Tom,

If I understood correctly, you created a workbook using some extract and published the same at server by allowing refresh permission on each data source. Your workbook is getting refresh at server but local copy of that workbook which is available on your computer is not refreshing.

Let me tell you there is no way of updating your local copy automatically on your computer, this is available only on server edition.

if you really want to get refreshed workbook then you have two choices

Either create a batch scripting which will help you in downloading that workbook automatically from server after its refreshing.

Or you can publish these extract to server and schedule their refresh on server and use these extract in your local copy . Whenever you will open this workbook Tableau automatically transfer new loaded data to that workbook as your are using published extract.

• 4. Re: Issues refreshing an extract that is not a published data source
                Tom Tibbeau

Correct, all three extracts in this workbook are on my local drive and none of these data sources are published to the server. Only the workbook containing my dashboards and these local extracts is published to the server. And none of the data/dashboards is updating automatically on the server even though I set a refresh schedule on the uploaded workbook (as per the image I shared earlier).

So it seems like, for an dashboard/extract to automatically refresh on the server the workbook must be connected to a published data source (vs. the workbook being connected to extracts on my local machine).

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks for all of your help with this