4 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 8:43 AM by ranjit saha

Different Fiscal Year Names

ranjit saha

Hello,

I guess lots of discussion had happened on this topic, but i am kind of stuck with an issue and need your help is resolving it.

Issue:

The Fiscal year definition for my company is:

FY 2016 - April, 2016 to Mar, 2017

Now i changed the default property for the date dimension  in my data source, and it takes the start date of the fiscal as April, but the labeling it follows is the usual FY2017 and i need to change it to display FY2016 for the data that falls on the date range mentioned above.

Can anyone please suggest a simple trick or any standard way that i can make this change.

Thanks in Advance,

Ranjit

• 1. Re: Different Fiscal Year Names
          Warren Holroyd

Don't think you can.

Or, at least, you can't alter the kludgy way Tableau labels fiscal years.  Every company I ever worked for ran a fiscal year April to March and formatted their reporting as "FY YYYY-YY".  I've not found an intuitive way of doing this, other than creating calculated fields to act as the labeling.

Have a read: Fiscal Year Number is Higher Than Expected | Tableau Software

• 2. Re: Different Fiscal Year Names
            ranjit saha

Thanks, Warren,

But I am calling the Revised Date calculated field by a parameter.

Parameter - has various string values such as Year, Category, Supplier etc

the corresponding Calculated field contains the case for calling the string and render the data.

Now when i use the year case it still returns the year and not the fiscal year

eg.

Revised date when used in the rows: it shows the FY correctly

But in the case function does give only the calendar year.

The dimension calculation is given below:

What do i change to get the FY label in the first snapshot?

thanks,

Ranjit

• 3. Re: Different Fiscal Year Names
              Warren Holroyd

So D_DIM1 is essentially a dynamic field which will change according to your parameter, and it will always output a string (whether it be a string of a date or a category)?

If so, then you could alter the D_DIM1 calculated field to read:

CASE [D_Dim1]

WHEN [Year] THEN

"FY " + str(year([Order Date]))

WHEN "Category" THEN

[Category]

END

Or if the particular date formatting your organisation adheres to is similar to my own (FY YYYY/YY), you could style it as:

"FY " + str(year([Order Date])) + "/" + right(str(year([Order Date])+1),2)

Make sense?

• 4. Re: Different Fiscal Year Names
                ranjit saha

Hello Warren,

I guess i kind of missed the point that i was trying to solve.

in the pic:

you see that the Year of Revision is showing correct values as FY 2008 etc.. but when i use the same dimension as a case in the parameter it comes as 2008, as its taking the calendar year, so i guess i need to change something in the calculated measure other than just adding FY..

if i add FY to the label: it doesnt give the correct value: