5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2017 10:46 PM by Prayson Wilfred Daniel

Analysis of speed (distance/time) in visualization

Richard Rogers

Hi folks,

I'm recreating two graphs in Tableau, from an external reporting website/resource.

I am using Tableau Professional Version 10.2.1.

These are the two following images are from the other resource, that I am making progress recreating in Tableau.

This first one shows (from top to bottom) Heart Rate, Cadence, and Speed.

The X-Axis shows distance.

RWGPSReportByKM.JPG

This one shows the same metrics.

The X-Axis shows time, arbitrarily in 5 minute intervals.

RWGPSReportByTime.JPG

I have partially succeeded in recreating these graphs in Tableau, for both X-Axis time, and distance.

In other words, I can see Heart Rate, and Cadence, by either time or distance. Take a look at the sheets "MetricsByRunTime" and "MetricsByKM".

I am having difficulty showing speed.

In the attached workbook, I have a sheet named "SpeedExperimentalByTime", where I can show the speed in km/h by time.

This graph is incomplete, and I'm having a difficult time deciding how to proceed.

If I select "TrackpointTime" (as an Exact Date) for Columns, and my calculated field "SpeedKMH" in Rows, I can see a graph that shows speed.

However, I don't want to see TrackpointTime along the X-Axis. I want to see Time from Start along the X-Axis.

If I change columns to RunTimeMinutes (calculated), and rows to SpeedKMH, I get the message:

"The table calculation for SpeedKMH requires a field that is missing. Please add the missing field to the view.".

I wonder how I should proceed.

I sincerely appreciate your tips/advice.

Richard