Is this something you've had to do in the past or something you think you have to do?
Our desktop licences expired after 3 years last September but they were extended for another year prior to expiration and I'm not aware of any of my users holding those licence keys having to 'refresh' the key through desktop in the way you describe.
Doesn't this normally just happen auto-magically? I can't remember having the need to manually activate my licenses after a maintenance renewal.
I have an email out to our Tableau rep on this because we have quite a few users who are being prompted in desktop for activation after our renewal. I asked if there was a way to update the product renewals in bulk. Anyone else know if this is an option?
I've got a similar query, we're just upgrading our users to v10.4 and I've enabled the desktop reporting feature. However nothing seems to get reported back unless I ask the users to refresh their product key? Being able to do this remotely would be great as I would then know that everyone was reporting (now i'm going to have to manually check and chase people to do it)
See the question/answer here: Tableau desktop usage reporting
You probably just need to give it time.
My Two Cents
So far I don't find the included reporting worthwhile:
- In the "Tableau Desktop License Expirations" tab the "What is the maintenance schedule for my perpetual licenses in the next 180days?" viz has just two entries in it and neither one of them exist in our Tableau Customer Portal. (Huh...I see there is no space between "180" and "days").
- In the "Tableau Desktop License Usage" tab the "What licenses have not been used for over 90 days?" viz has a few Product Keys (just a random check I made) that do not exist in our Tableau Customer Portal.
- There is no sorting available in the columns (beyond the first column) of the vizes in either of the Tableau Desktop License tabs so, for example, if I want to see the oldest App Version registered in my environment I can't sort by that column.
- If a product key hasn't been used for over 90 days then what is its version?
- Friendly name (Registered User Name?) is missing for 3 of the 4 available vizes
Really, to get any useful info regarding this functionality I think one would be best off with custom querying of the Tableau Server postgres db