I've seen queries like this come through within the logs and the only explanation that I've got is that Tableau needs to do some stuff like this in order to interpret the metadata.
I would assume the same, but also wonder, why cant it calculate that from the dataset that receives?
Only reason this is a pain is because it takes so much of the extract time, and has led to extracts timing out on 150M record tables.
You may want to try using a ODBC Customization like this:
<connection-customization class='mysql' version='10.3' enabled='true'>
<vendor name='mysql' />
<driver name='mysql' />
<customization name='CAP_QUERY_HAVING_REQUIRES_GROUP_BY' value='yes' />
Copy-paste the above into a new file ( call it mysql.tdc or whatever.tdc) and use it as described in Help:
Thank you for the reply.
Can you please highlight the implications of using this flag?
I cannot seems to find it in the documentation.
EDIT: Sorry i've found it: https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.htm#odbc_capabilities.html
Thank you for the reply again. I will try this!
Hello, Yuriy Fal i've tried enabling both
CAP_SUPPRESS_DISCOVERY_QUERIES = yes
CAP_QUERY_HAVING_REQUIRES_GROUP_BY = yes
but on extract creation i still see that query being run:
SELECT SUM(1) AS `COL` FROM `tablename` `Table Alias` HAVING COUNT(1)>0
I am creating those extracts via tdsx and publishing them to our tableau server using the rest api.
And inside the tds i have put those customizations. The tde contains basic (empty) table structure nothing else.
Can you please advice on any other ways of stopping tableau from doing those queries.
Please, try with the following customisations
(either one by one or together):
The latter is way too restrictive (please read the help),
but for the extracting purpose it's worth trying anyway.
I have already tried CAP_SUPPRESS_DISCOVERY_QUERIES (as i mentioned in my previous reply) , but i saw no difference.
I will try both and update this thread.
Thank you for your continued effort in trying to assist me
I've attached the TDC that we generate when sending the TDSX archive to the Tableau server via the REST API.
This is the version of tableau that we use at the moment 10.1.3 (10100.16.1223.0056) 64-bit
At this point i think tableau is ignoring my TDC customisation options. Im 100% sure its not ignoring the rest of the file, because the extract name, connection details etc. are picked up.
EDIT: I am so sorry for wasting your time Yuriy Fal .... it seems i have missed something very obvious ... which is to ENABLE the customisations usage in this row of the tdc file:
<connection-customization class='genericodbc' enabled='false' version='10.1'>
Everything is working as expected now ... Thank you again!
tdc.txt.zip 2.1 KB
Hristo, you're welcome.