The following may solve your problem:
Create an extract on your local computer with Tableau Desktop and click on 'Hide all unused fields' while creating the extract. This will make sure they no longer pop up on server.
Hope this helps!
Can you clarify what you mean by 'hidden' data in the workbook... is this data that has been filtered out via a datasource or quick filter or have you some data displayed and you've selected 'right click -> hide data' on a particular field value?
Also what version of Tableau are you using?
Are you able to provide a basic packaged workbook thatt demonstrates the issue?
I have few worksheets where only Grand totals should be visible. So I used "HIDE" so that it wont effect the values of Grand totals.
After hiding the data ,
Hope you understood the issue.
The hidden data is popping in the report when the refreshes are happening in the server. But it is working fine if done in Desktop. But manually doing the refreshes in the Desktop is quite not a solution.
Please help me out in the issue.
I will try this option and see if this is working.
Thanks for the instant reply
Based on your response to my question, Matthaias suggestion won't help as you're using the fields in your viz, they won't 'hide' via an extract.
The behaviour you're describing shouldn't be happening following an extract refresh, so think your only route is to escalate to Tableau support. It may be a known issue though that has been fixed in another version of Tableau, but I don't know what version you're using.
I am working on 9.3 version of Desktop.
1) Is your server the same version?
2) I know you're doing server extract refreshes so there must be some data extracts in your workbook, but is the data source the hidden data is coming from also extracted or a 'live connection'? If it is live, can you see whether making it an extract causes the same problems?
3) If you're able to provide a packaged workbook with some sample data that you know replicates the issue, I can test against my server which is v10.1.
Thanks for the response and many sorry for the late reply.
1. I tried investigating with the issue with the same version of server---Issue still exists.
2. I tried publishing the datasource and repointed my workbook to the published datasource--Issue still exists.
3. Yes, the complete datasource is extracted and the hidden data is also from the same extract.
The data is very confidential and hence cannot provide the workbook.
Sorry for the late post.
Resolution to above issue was simple. It was kind of a misbehavior of the tool.
We have removed layout containers and have replaced back again for each sheet which solved the issue.