5 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2017 9:53 AM by Justin Larson

Show view selection on two dashboards

Claire Douglas

Can a selection on one dashboard show on a different dashboard?

I have two views (Promote Type and Source) which filter the data on the rest of dashboard A, and filter each other.  These same views filter the values on dashboard B.  Everything is filtering just fine.  When  I select a Promote Type Value in Dashboard A, Source is filtered on Dashboard A and Dashboard B.  When I look at Dashboard B, Source is still filtered, but Promote Type is not selected.  This makes it look like we are seeing all Promote Type values, even though they're filtered due to the selection on Dashboard A.  Is there a way to keep the selection showing on Dashboard B?  Or is there another way around this?  Currently my only thought is to create a different view of Promote Type for each dashboard, but I'd like to avoid that both for speed and maintenance (it's on ~5 dashboards now).

Thanks!

Claire

Dashboard A views for Promote Type and Source, no selection:

Dashboard A views for Promote Type and Source, selected:

Dashboard B views for Promote Type and Source (with selection on Dashboard A):

• 1. Re: Show view selection on two dashboards
          Justin Larson

in you dashboard actions, this filter should show up. If you edit it, there is an option on what to do when a filtering selection is removed: keep the filter as is, filter out all values, or include all values. By default, it keeps the filter selection in place until you do something else that changes it, which is the behavior you're seeing.

Changing this option will not force the Promote Type selection to stay selected, but it will help with the clarity of what filter are in place, because the filter would change when Promoted is unselected if you tell it to.

alternatively, you can highlight as an action instead of filtering. If you want to highlight related components of the Dashboard B, you will want to make sure the same level of detail (all the dimension pills) exist on the dashboard in B sheet.

• 2. Re: Show view selection on two dashboards
            Claire Douglas

Thanks Justin.  Show all values is already selected, so I have that functionality working.  My worry is that someone will not clear the selection on dashboard A, then go to dashboard B, and assume all values are showing (though they're still filtered from the selection on dashboard A).  The goal of these bar charts is actually to provide filters, so unfortunately the highlighting action won't work.

• 3. Re: Show view selection on two dashboards
              Justin Larson

oh, oh, a totally different dashboard. I was reading that as just two worksheets on the same dashboard. You're talking about making a selection on a dashboard, then switching sheets entirely, and being able to see the selection from the other sheet, yes?

Not sure I could help with that. I misunderstood the scenario.

• 4. Re: Show view selection on two dashboards
                Claire Douglas

Yup, that's it!  I'm not sure there's anything that can be done here, but I figured I'd ask in case anyone had a brilliant idea.

• 5. Re: Show view selection on two dashboards
                  Justin Larson

It's not exactly what you were after, but one option would be to show a caption on the worksheet being affected by the filter (Worksheet>ShowCaption) and customize the message to call out what filters are being applied.