1 2 3 4 Previous Next 98 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2019 9:05 AM by Joe Oppelt Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 15. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
        Joe Oppelt

I use lines when sheets have to be crowded close to each other.  Always floating.  It's just to break up space -- especially to create visual boundaries for close sheets.  "Good fences make good neighbors."

• 16. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
          Joe Oppelt

I see the "blank" object as a container that contains nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Including color.  (Thus, its name!)  If I need color in a blank space, I float a container and color it.  Or border it.  Etc.

• 17. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
            Vincent Baumel

This is my approach too. In fact, I remember this technique being used in the winning Iron Viz dashboard at last year's conference! The purpose for lines (as far as I've used them) has been to visually break up the dashboard. Floating lines don't always play nicely when viewing the dashboard on different device types, and seems predictably unpredictable in any dashboard set to Automatic sizing. I could probably come up with a number of other uses for it though, if it were available. From an artistic perspective, there's a trove of approaches to take. Think Annotation box but on a whole different level (e.g. something like a splash page, that describes which filters apply to which worksheets).

• 18. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
              Matthew Risley

Phil,

Currently I only use lines in floating, but to be candid - it's because i really on use floating. Floating (at least currently) is 100 times better than tiling IMHO. Tiling requires precise detail and feels "clunky" to me. the only time I really use tiling options is when I'm doing something "hacky" like: http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.htm#dashboards_sheet_selector.html

I use lines to create "Customized Spacing" to really give the dashboard a professional feel. Line thickness, Matching colors, etc.

Best,

--Matt

• 19. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
                Joe Oppelt

Matthew Risley wrote:

Phil,

Currently I only use lines in floating, but to be candid - it's because i really on use floating. Floating (at least currently) is 100 times better than tiling IMHO. ...

--Matt

Ditto

• 20. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
                  Vincent Baumel

Also, when I bring a worksheet out please don't assume I want to see every filter and legend as well. If I have 25 worksheets I'm putting into one dashboard and filters/legends applied to all related data sources, it gets tedious pretty quick having to close every single instance of the same filter and legend.

• 21. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
                    Matthew Risley

By the way Phil,

I want to say that I greatly appreciate this type of interaction with us. It may seem like we are putting Tableau on Blast. But for me (and I'm sure it's the same with the others) is that we are truly trying to make this a better product.

So don't be overwhelmed if it seems like we hate the product and are nit-picking! You asked, and we tell

• 22. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
                      Shawn Wallwork

Vincent just an FYI: If you don't have any filters open/showing in the worksheet, then when you bring that sheet into the dashboard then no filters will be add to the dashboard. Essentially don't open any filters on the worksheets, except one worksheet, and you'll get the behavior you're describing.

--Shawn

• 23. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
                        Simon Runc

hi Phil,

Thanks for reaching out, and really looking forward to the session...

I can only ditto the comments from Joe, Shawn and Vincent...especially the floating objects fixed (or at least anchored) to something (a point, corner of an object...etc.), snap to grid, and multiple object selection/formatting. We allow our Vizes to re-size (if you've got a big screen we want to use all of it), meaning I rarely get the chance to float (devise designer has helped). As such I've become quite proficient with containers, which are a Love/Hate thing for many...however I'd love to get an update on the "super" containers (padding/borders) shown at TC16...they looked awesome! (I saw the distribute objects in 10.3 Beta, but not these containers...and from TC16 this functionality seemed to operate on all objects)

This leads me onto something else...while having the ability to pad/border will be great, it's going to add another "fiddly"/"manual" thing to set-up/maintain...are there any thoughts/plan for something akin to CSS? I appreciate Tableau wants to stay "code free" (and I applaud that), but we do spend a lot of time on the final polish. We had an "Ethnographics"  PhD student observe us for the last 2 months, as part of her project...and we got to see her notes on our activities (this was part of the deal!). One of the activities she noted was "modification activity" (within the PUX framework)...or in English "Amending/ correcting existing models"...and there was a lot of "Simon goes into filter and sets width = 200, Simon goes into filter and sets width = 200, Simon goes into filter and sets width = 200, next dashboard...Simon goes into filter and sets width = 200...reading her observations let to a "there must be a better way"! (however I would also like the option to have different formatting on different filters/parameters...as this is sometimes very useful, and happy to fiddle around for the 20% of cases, if the 80% was super quick/easy)

Equally, although I love the new "seemless" sheet titles, we can rarely use them as I often want to have an object, say a parameter, next to the title (it just saves space, which the title is taking up anyway & gives them proximity context)...this means we use Text objects for titles, but as these aren't tagged as titles, we can't change their formatting from the global formatting (we'd also like to tag H1, H2, H3...etc.) this would a) mean we can experiment/ change the look and feel in a few clicks b) Keep a model (with multiple) dashboards consistent (without thinking about it)...I don't know the solution to this, but wondered if you had some thoughts (appreciating that Tracy said formatting was out-of-scope!!)

• 24. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
                          Joe Oppelt

Shawn Wallwork wrote:

Vincent just an FYI: If you don't have any filters open/showing in the worksheet, then when you bring that sheet into the dashboard then no filters will be add to the dashboard. Essentially don't open any filters on the worksheets, except one worksheet, and you'll get the behavior you're describing.

--Shawn

True, Shawn.  Of course, while you're developing the sheet, you need those things open.

So you are really just proposing a pay-me-now/pay-me-later approach.  Either I shut off all those objects in the sheet before adding it to the dashboard, or I delete them from the dashboard after I add the sheet.

When I first saw Vincent's post, I cheered inside.  But then I realized that I might rue that change the day I add a sheet and WANT the filters on the dashboard!

When I add a sheet floating, most times those peripheral object get floated next to the sheet.  All of them are sort of overlaying each other in one easy-to-target-for-successive-deletes location.  What I HAVE noticed, though, is if I decide I need to add a filter to the dashboard after-the-fact, Tableau sometimes wants to add it to a tiled container at the bottom of the floating order, or to an existing container where other filters are positioned.  I haven't figured out Tableau's thought process for that.  When that happens, I have to hunt for it, and then float it to move it where I need it.

• 25. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
                            Shawn Wallwork

Joe, I adjusted my work process to accommodate this behavior. I only show global filters on a single sheet. When I'm working on other sheets, I go back to this one sheet and change the filter there. This has the added benefit of making sure the global filters on the dashboard are all coming from that one sheet, rather than for different sheets.

I also find hunting for filters that Tableau puts in various/unexpected places annoying. My short-cut for this is to hit the back button, drag the sheet out to again and drop in a place that doesn't include any filter containers, and watch as it gets added. Usually I only have to do this once. But I'm with you, I'd prefer that all filters are added next to the floating sheet. I think this is one of those cases where Tableau is being too helpful.

--Shawn

• 26. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
                              E Keeley-Arnold

Agreed, I would like to be able to toggle whether legends/filters are automatically added to dashboards. It can be helpful in the beginning as the first few worksheets are added. It becomes confusing as more sheets are added, especially when I have the same legends and filters on multiple sheets.

• 27. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
                                Phil Naranjo

Thanks, Simon.  The Spacing feature is not a super container but rather, it's about exposing more properties for items in dashboards so that you can control the white space, border, and shading.  It's not going to be a cure all as we have not changed the underlying layout engine code, which our team is super interested in doing.  We're still working within the existing constraints of dashboard authoring for this feature but it should eliminate the need for using blank objects as shims.  Internally, we're experimenting with ways to change the engine and make very cool things possible for our customers but this is still in the 'lab' phase.  Nothing on the horizon, for now. 

As for you seamless title (that's globally formattable) with a control suggestion. You'd like dashboard text objects to be globally formattable - currently only titles can be set globally or all text.  Let me loop in Rubaiyat Khan, my peer from the  amazing Tableau Formatting team, as an FYI.

--Phil

• 28. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
                                  Rubaiyat Khan

Thanks for including me in the conversation, Phil.

Simon Runc - Thank you for sharing the use case of globally formatting text objects that are being used as titles. We will keep this in mind as a future improvement.

A follow up question to better understand the exact need - do you have other text objects that are not being used as titles? Would you want to format them differently from the ones that you use as titles?

• 29. Re: Ask us anything about dashboarding!
                                    maneesh.gaddam

I'm new to Tableau, so at the risk of sounding ignorant, few issues I've been facing were

1) Dynamic I-frame for dashboards of the same workbook.

I've a workbook with two dashboards. Dashboard 1 is of 4000 px height and Dashboard 2 is at 1000 px. Using Action filter I'm targeting a sheet in Dashboard 2 with a sheet in Dashboard 1. Lets say if the sheet in Dashboard 1 is located a 3000 Px height. Now, when I interact with Action filter to go to Dashboard 2, it takes me to 3000 Px height in the Dashboard 2 not to the top. So, when user navigates to Dashboard 2 he sees blank space and he has to scroll up to see the information in Dashboard 2.

2) Able to format the containers and blanks in Device Layout.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next