5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 12:42 PM by Kumar Guntupalli

Install Server and Worker Node

Kumar Guntupalli

Hi Gurus,

Can we install Server and Worker Nodes on the same Machine

• 1. Re: Install Server and Worker Node
          Jeff Strauss

Huh?  I think this may defeat the purpose of having a distributed cluster.  Why do you want to do this?  I think it is possible to install on VM defined instances that are part of the same host.

• 2. Re: Install Server and Worker Node
            Kumar Guntupalli

Thanks for the reply. I worked with many Business Intelligence tools and there is a possibility of distributive installation to maximum the use of the machine capacity.

Let me put in this way.

Cognos has application server where it has inbuilt process to perform the different tasks. I had heavy performance machine and it has 64 cores on it. Each core can handle up to 2 process and 5 affinity Jobs that means it can handle upto 10 reports at the same time to run. Keeping in mind of the same installation, I want to leverage the server capacity to have the Tableau Server and Worker Node to be on the same machine.

Why do you want to do this? There is no answer to it. I Just want to find if it is possible or not. I know we can have VM and handle the distributive install on it.

Any how thanks for the Reply.

• 3. Re: Install Server and Worker Node
              Jeff Strauss

I see.  Within Tableau the paradigm is different.  You can allocate Tableau processes to run within the single machine.  Does this help?  Tableau Server Processes

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Install Server and Worker Node
                Toby Erkson

Unless you split up your server into a VM environment I'm going to say no.  The reason being is that the software installation for Primary and Worker expect to be on a separate box.  If you install the Primary software and then install the Worker software, the Worker software will over-write the Primary.  That's my understanding.

Using the Worker software is for when moving your Tableau Server environment out (multiple servers), not up (single node server with additional hardware added).

If you are running Tableau Server under the core-based licensing then having a 64 core system will not work if you are licensed for less than 64 cores -- again, you'd need to virtualize it to reduce the number of visible cores to the [internal] licensing server.

• 5. Re: Install Server and Worker Node
                  Kumar Guntupalli

Thanks Toby. That answers my question.