3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2017 4:45 PM by Justin Larson

This is my first dashboard. What do you think?

Rowan Davies

Hello Tableau Community,

I am taking a data visualization course for my undergraduate studies. For the final project, we each created a Tableau dashboard. It occurred to me that a group of enthusiastic Tableau developers would be a great place to run an informal user test.

If you'd like to, please peruse my dashboard titled "Main Dashboard". Any criticisms/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much! I also attached a word document that discusses some of my idiom choices.

Best to all,

Rowan

• 1. Re: This is my first dashboard. What do you think?
          Simon Runc

hi Rowan,

Generally we get lots of "technical" (how do I...) type questions, so very nice to get one on data-viz!

So this is a very nice dashboard...and really like your accompanying document giving the justification for each Viz. I've got a few suggestions (this is really tinkering around the edges, so to be taken as "light" suggestions...not a "OMG what have you done!"). In that spirit...

On the colour scheme...there are a lot of colours going on (the 2 different Pies, the Scatter and the Bar Chart). The fewer you can use (generally) the better. I've opted for a Brown and Green Pallet (the Brown as that's the colour I associate with eggs!...although as a vegan this is purely in an observational capacity). I also think it's hard to see the "change in hue" on the scatter plot, so have changed this to a 2 colour scale.

The Pie Charts...now Pie Charts get a rough-time in Data Viz circles (as you may have read), unfairly so IMHO, as long as they are used well (eg. no more that 3 segments)...and your justification for them here is right (they do clearly show the user, this is part of whole and are universally understood). However the thing that is lacking (until you read the totals) is the Scale of the Fixed and Recurrent Costs. As such I've opted for 2 Tree-Maps, and used colour pallets for Fixed and Recurring...

As well as humans perceiving the size between rectangular shapes more easily, we also now have the scale of each of the cost types. The downside is that Tableau can no longer fit all the labels on, so you could use a legend, or rely on interested users hovering over. To do this I had to combine the 3 data sets (I just bolted your 3 workbooks into separate sheets, in a single workbook, and used Tableau's Union feature). This also allowed me to create a parameter to control if the user was going to use Scraps or Dedicated Feed.

Now not sure if this is possible, as you've highlighted the problems capturing the data...but on the Line chart (which is a very good bit of information to show, and a good choice, IMHO) it would be quite cool to see all the declines by species (this would meaning having the "reduction over time" data by species). As this would be very busy (lots of lines) you could do something like the below, where the detail is made very thin and light and the overall trend in gold. You could then set up a hover/highlight action from the bar chart to highlight a particular species.

Hope that helps and thanks for sharing.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: This is my first dashboard. What do you think?
            Rowan Davies

Oh my goodness! Yay! You are absolutely right that a tree map expresses the proportions better. I've implemented your suggestions and can't wait to give you credit when I present next week.

• 3. Re: This is my first dashboard. What do you think?
              Justin Larson

Good suggestions from Simon. +1 every one of those.

I would add that one of the highlights of working with Tableau as an end user is the interactivity. I would make sure that interaction with any of your visualization brings out related context in the others. As most of this is centered around Species, you could have the related charts filter and/or highlight when a mark is selected on Species name in any of these.

another thing that catches my eye is the real estate dedicated to sources. I would embed these in a way that doesn't distract from the viz, either by embedding them in tooltips for the source of the respective viz, as a footer, or as an info button using a technique like this: QT: Help Button Tool Tip

Obviously, none of that is relevant if this is going to be printed, or screenshotted into a presentation, but as an interactive tool, embedding context is a much better way to have the most relevant information show, and expose the details as necessary with further exploration.