6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2017 3:45 PM by Gerardo Varela

Combo Chart off of a single measure - HELP!!??

Ryan Davis

Firstly, the attached is on Tableau 10.1.

I'm looking to create a combination chart, but with only a single measure.  What I'm specifically looking for is a chart like the below pictured in Excel - but I cant figure out how to do it.  FWIW, the charts intent is to provide a single visual incorporating headcount, hires, terms, budget, and open positions;

• 1. Re: Combo Chart off of a single measure - HELP!!??
          Jim Dehner

Hi Ryan

See if this is of any help - the spreadsheet is attached

What I did was duplicate your data source and only link it on Month (BTW - you may want to make that a real date in your data - its a string now)

Then I created separate charts - one from each source - (second image) by dragging the second source Monthly to the rows shelf

Then combined them with Dual Axis (right click the second pill and select dual axis)

Let me know if that helped

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Combo Chart off of a single measure - HELP!!??
            Gerardo Varela

Hi Ryan,

I took a shot at it and I'm really close.  I'm just not sure how to remove the dates you have filtered out when having a continuous date on the columns tab.  Hopefully the attached helps.

Regards,

Gerardo

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Combo Chart off of a single measure - HELP!!??
              Ryan Davis

Ah, those dates dont matter, really.  I can just exclude them from the data source.  Thanks all for the help...I'll be taking a look this weekend.

• 4. Re: Combo Chart off of a single measure - HELP!!??
                Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Ryan

The best I can do is as below snapshot.

ZZ

• 5. Re: Combo Chart off of a single measure - HELP!!??
                  Ryan Davis

This is exactly what I had in mind.  Thank you!!!  Mind explaining a bit what you did?  I see the calc fields, so I can certainly copy that, but an explanation would help.  I'm still fairly new at all this.

For the dates, our fiscal year begins in October, which is why I bring over the months as text and not a date.  Just easier to manually sort than try and convert everything to date.  For whatever reason Tableau hates our fiscal calendar.

• 6. Re: Combo Chart off of a single measure - HELP!!??
                    Gerardo Varela

I'll try!  So I defined bar category and line category so I could split the monthly value by different dimensions.  Then I changed your string month into an actual date so I could place it as a continuous field which is needed to draw lines across the window (I read somewhere in a future release this might be needed).  . 

Tableau by default will want to stack your bar graph by month.  By tweaking the date start (months) with day offsets, 1, 5, 10 , then I can tell Tableau to plot the bar graph in slightly different day so it doesn't stack.  After that it's just playing with the both axis so it look like the image you posted.

By the way ,Tableau does support fiscal years as shown below so I would pull the data as such and just let Tableau handle the fiscal year (I don't have to this in my work so there might be some nuances I'm aware of)

If this doesn't make sense let me know!  I'll try to explain in more depth or point you some links that are more informative. 

Regards,

Gerardo