6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 7:10 PM by Paul Grace

Scheduled TDE publish does not refresh visible data

Rob Moerland

Every night the server gets a TDE file (made by a Talend job) containing last weeks data. I scheduled a .cmd script using "tabcmd publish" to update the available Data Source.

Now my problem is: when I run this script from Windows Task Scheduler the output of tabcmd says "File was successfully published to the server ..." but I still get old data. When I run the script myself the data gets updated (i.e. yesterdays data is shown in the View). What am I doing wrong ?

Running Tableau Server 10.1.6

using tabcmd publish --overwrite

and even tabcmd publish --replace (just to be very very sure)

The Data Source was created by using a "tabcmd publish" command.

• 1. Re: Scheduled TDE publish does not refresh visible data
          Jeff Strauss

two thoughts come to mind.

- Are you publishing via the script to the accurate project?  It's possible that you inadvertantly have the datasource in multiple projects and maybe your dashboard is pointing at the wrong one.  This could be true for site as well, but more doubtful.

- Something is cached.  Try adding ?:refresh=yes to your dashboard URL to see if this helps.

• 2. Re: Scheduled TDE publish does not refresh visible data
            Rob Moerland

I have just a few Data Sources published. So it is easy to see I have no duplicates.

Tableau Server is run by the account MYCORP\svcTableau, this account is Server Administrator, and also used by Windows Task Scheduler to run the update script ( which contains the --username MYCORP\svcTableau, --password-file, --name --project and --description parameters ).

When I use Tableau Desktop to read the new TDE file, all data is up-to-date. When using TD to create a new workbook by connecting to TS and selecting the "just updated" Data Source I get old data. Only by running the script myself the data gets uploaded into the Data Source.

BTW should I use --overwrite or --replace ?

• 3. Re: Scheduled TDE publish does not refresh visible data
              Jeff Strauss

I always use --overwrite so I'm not sure what --replace even does.

• 4. Re: Scheduled TDE publish does not refresh visible data
                Rob Moerland

I haven't answers for a while due to holidays and things I wanted to try out.

Currently I am running Tableau Server 10.1.7. That is not a solution.

The TDE file is about 442 MB and is written to the fileshare at 03:15 AM

The update script is run at 05:45 by Windows Task Scheduler using the same account that is running the Tableau Server services. The scripts also uses that same account to logon to Tableau Server.

The script contains the line

tabcmd publish <TDE filepath> --overwrite --name <Data Source Name> --project <Project Name> --description <Just a simple Description> --no-certcheck

The DataSource history shows that just works fine.

When I open the TDE file ( Tableau Desktop ) to build a new dashboard the TDE shows to be up-to-date.

When I open the Data Source ( Tableau Server website ) to build a new dashboard I get yesterdays data. As though the Data Source is running one version behind. Unless Tableau Server was restarted at 23:00 ( every Monday ).

My new investigation will be: restart Tableau Server every day.

Ragards,

Rob

• 5. Re: Scheduled TDE publish does not refresh visible data
                  Rob Moerland

This is becoming very frustrating. This morning I did my usual checks. New TDE file (yes), TDE loaded according to History (yes), New Workbook shows new data (no), New Workbook shows yesterdays data (yes), existing Workbook shows new data (YES ???).

So I cannot rely on Tableau Server to give me current data when using a Data Source from a TDE file. It might be some caching problem. But I started running “tabadmin cleanup --restart” every day ( instead of once a week ). So that’s no solution too.

Can anyone tell me how to load TDE files reliably?

Regards,

Rob

• 6. Re: Scheduled TDE publish does not refresh visible data
                    Paul Grace

Hi Rob,

If you go to the workbook in tableau server, look at the dashboard, and press "refresh" button, does it then show the latest data?

I think you need to go back to your workbook in desktop and edit the data source. Choose tableau server, and point it to the published extract on the server.

Then re-publish the workbook.

This process works for me, I am only trying to figure out why I need to press the refresh button to see the latest data, and how I could avoid needing to do that.

Paul