4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2017 3:53 AM by Zhouyi Zhang

Data Blending.

Venkat Gm

Here I have to connect 3 different Data sources ( Microsoft SQL, Excel & SAP), In My Data Sources Microsoft SQL Is the main Data Source , Remaining Data source having less Data. Based On SQL Data i created Worksheet Charts, Dashboard and i Applied Filters With Microsoft SQL data Source. If i connect to Other Data Source (EXCEL) Filters Will work on That Data ? ( I will Blend Data with One common Column) If i Blend data with one common column & I applied filter.Filter will work only on that Particular Column ?

In Dash board I need Place Total 9 Worksheets (I created 9 worksheets (Charts) Based on 3 different Data sources Data) And i placed Filters In Dashboard. If i select any Filter i need to change Data In 9 work sheets Based on the selection.

So for that Data blending is Good (or) Data joining is Good way to do Please Suggest me. ( I applied 7 Filters Based On My Data Only, In My secondary Data Source I dnt have That Columns I have only 1 common column. Ex: In my Primary Data Source I applied Filters Year, Region, Location & Product. In My secondary Source I have Only Region and Some other Measures. I blended Data with One Common Column Region, Region. In dashboard when i applied Location  Filter that filter will work secondary Data source ?.

Finally If we do Data Blending Is gives Best Performance. (or) Joins Gives best Performance.

Thanks,

Venkat.

• 2. Re: Data Blending.
          Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Venkat

If your 3 data sources can be mapped with couple of keys and blended well, the filter could apply to your dashboard. but things may become complicated when you use LOD, please refer to Filters and Level of Detail Expressions  for more details.

my personal experience is if you could join your data in advance, it will give you better performance rather than data blend afterward. Just imagine, when the data source become bigger and bigger, every time when your dashboard refreshing, it will go back to load the data and do the blending again and again.

Hope this could help.

ZZ

• 3. Re: Data Blending.
            Venkat Gm

Hi Zhouyi

Zhang,  Thank you very much For your Reply.

However here I have a small doubt, Could you please Explain that.

In My SQL Data source I have 1 table, In that Table, i have 10 columns, Column A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,

In SQL Data Source I have One more Table, That Table contains 4 Columns B, C, K, L.

I have onther data source EXCEL In that 3 Columns are their F, G, M.

Based On All data I created 9 worksheets. Based On 1st data source I created 5 worksheets, Based on 2nd data source created 2 worksheets (Graphs) and 3rd Data source Excel Based on that I created 2 worksheets. Total 9 worksheets i placed in one Dashboard.In Dashboard I Placed  Filters as A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J. So here if click A Filter i need to see data changes in all 9 worksheets.How we can do this Task Please Explain me Step by Step.

Thank you,

Venkat.

• 4. Re: Data Blending.
              Zhouyi Zhang

I think in your case, the best way is to use parameter and create calculation fields related to this parameter in each data source so that the data would be refreshed once the parameter changes across all the data sources. Hope this could help

ZZ