4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 1:32 AM by Simon Runc

Conditional Format

Apoorv Sharma

Hi there,

I'm a relatively new tableau user , looking for some help regarding conditionally formatting data tables in my dashboard.

In the attached packaged workbook, On the first dashboard , there's a table called Brand Performance Summary by Geography.

I'm looking for ways to format all the cells in the column " Growth YOY" red if they are negative or green if they are positive, according to their respective values.

Problem is, on creating a calculated field and using that to color, that format is applied to all columns, whereas I'm looking to color just the "growth yoy" columns for it's value.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Apoorv

• 1. Re: Conditional Format
          Norbert Maijoor

Hi Apoorv,

Find my approach as reference below and stored in attached workbook version 10.1 located in the original thread

My approach is explained here

Regards,

Norbert

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Conditional Format
            Apoorv Sharma

Hi Norbert,

Thanks a lot for your solution. This is exactly what I was looking for. Although I was a little disappointed that there was no feature to format columns in the table.

Your video was also very helpful.

I had another query on the same workbook. Please let me know if I need to create another thread for that.

I was looking to create dynamic headers for all the tables in the workbook. So when a certain Region/Zone/District was selected those values would be displayed in the title. I was able to do this by inserting these variables in the title. However I wanted to display some other values when "All" was selected in the filter.

So far, I've been unable to find a way to either edit the alias of the "All" option in the filter.

One solution I found was using parameters, but I don't want to use that for fear of changing my workbook and losing all context filters 

Is there a way to do this without having to create these filters again?

Again any help would be much appreciated, and I thank you again for the help you've already provided.

Regards

Apoorv

• 3. Re: Conditional Format
              Norbert Maijoor

Good morning Apoorv,

Hope you are doing well today. Two questions. On which version are you on? & Could you share your workbook?

Would like to ask Simon Runc to the table....Simon Runc Just a check from my side. In the past year I provided very often the above explained solution. This functionality often requested by the community. Is this functionality available in latest releases? Upfront thanks for your prompt reply.

Regards,

Norbert

• 4. Re: Conditional Format
                Simon Runc

hi Norbert,

So in 10.2 we now have the ability to use different colour pallets per measure (when we use multiple measure values/names)....

giving a separate legend per measure

However you'd still need the MIN(1) to only add colour to only one of the measures...unless you do something funky like this (I've made the colour pallet for the column I don't want coloured from Black to Black!..and so gives the illusion of only colouring one measure)

1 of 1 people found this helpful