2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 12:15 PM by Phil Naranjo

Dashboards >4000 pixels using XML? Tried but it won't save?

Eric Kurtz

Hi all, I saw a few old threads on manually manipulating the XML code to allow for dashboards >4000px size. I've done just that, and the code holds in the XML, but it doesn't seem to be applied when reopening the workbook in Tableau Desktop. Does anyone know if this feature has been disabled via some override, or am I going about the solution incorrectly?

Thanks!!

XML Code:

Tableau Desktop:

• 1. Re: Dashboards >4000 pixels using XML? Tried but it won't save?

Hey Eric Kurtz,

I'm sure I could help you with this query.

Let me contact our team, and I'll get back to you as soon as I have an answer

Thanks for your time,

• 2. Re: Dashboards >4000 pixels using XML? Tried but it won't save?
            Phil Naranjo

Hi Eric--

Tableau enforces a 4,000 pixel size limit when you’re authoring.  That is, the user interface does not let you set a fixed size dashboard dimension greater than 4,000 pixels.  You're attempting to get past this limit.  We do this to help our customers with older GPUs from running into problems.  These older GPUs aren't always able to handle Tableau’s rendering pipeline.  An alternative to hacking the twb file XML is to create and publish an automatically sized dashboard.  In this case, we don’t enforce this limit.  (Think of the 4,000 pixel limit as a very short fence that can be easily stepped over.)  I recommend that you experiment and see if you can publish a large dashboard (>4,000 pixel). 

Thanks,

--Phil

Product Manager, Tableau Dashboards Team