5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 2:19 PM by Matt Coles

Notifications from Tableau Server on change of status

Garima Vohra

Hello,

Is there any way I can have my tableau server/desktop (I have tableau 10.0) send out notifications to the concerned people on change of status of a case?

Thank you,

Garima

• 1. Re: Notifications from Tableau Server on change of status
          Matt Coles

Hi Garima. In 10.0, there are no conditional alerting features that come with Tableau Server. However, in 10.1, there is a feature called Conditional Subscriptions that could likely do what you are looking for. And coming in 10.3 there is a newer feature called Data Driven Alerts that could also perform what you are looking for. However, both of those features require the alert recipients to be manually set up--you would need to subscribe everyone to that alert that could possibly own a case, then use a User Filter so that when they looked at the viz, they only saw their own cases. If people joined the team, or left the team, you would need to update the subscriptions to add/remove them.

If you need something more dynamic, then you are in the right place. VizAlerts maps specific attributes in your data to email properties, so that you can dynamically email any address you can calculate with a field in Tableau. If you read through the User Guide and it seems like what you are looking for, then I would recommend going through the Install Guide and setting it up on a test Server to play with it and see if it will work for you. Note that once you set it up on a Server, it will work not just for the one use case you are asking about, but you could set up any number of alerts based on any other workbooks you wanted to create. Any user who wanted to could build their own alerts and use them (the admin has control over who can and who cannot do this, however).

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• 2. Re: Notifications from Tableau Server on change of status
            Garima Vohra

Hello,

It's been since I asked this question. But I do have Tableau 10.3 now and the server has Alert capability. The problem is I have bar graphs and I want to be able to show alerts based on the increase or decrease of each bar.How can I achieve that? And for Vizalerts, can I do it from a laptop or somewhere else (where?).

Thanks,

Garima

• 3. Re: Notifications from Tableau Server on change of status
              Matt Coles

For 10.3, you would need to visualize the difference between each bar using a table calculation, then create your Alert on the new bar that the table calc shows. You would not be able to see the original bars anymore, however, unless you created a dashboard, and added both the original viz and the table-calc version to it. You'd then create your alert on the table calc version of the vis. When the alert was triggered, the entire dashboard will be rendered and emailed to you.

Do not run VizAlerts on a laptop except for temporary testing purposes. Laptops aren't meant to run applications designed to power secure, reliable, and always-on enterprise services.

• 4. Re: Notifications from Tableau Server on change of status
                Garima Vohra

Hi Matt,

I have a dashboard with sub pages that monitor lot of different numbers. I  tried some people for Vizalert related installation but what I got was that we have 10.3 now and alerts can be easily done so no further installation is required. I want to work the alerts for different users of my dashboard. What do you suggest?

Most of my graphs depict a daily trend with dates on X axis and counts on Y. Now, that's a clustered graph I have different categories clustered together on each date and if numbers increase or decrease on any of the categories on a particular date, my alerts should be able to tell that to the person using the dashboard. Let me know what do you think.

Thank you,

Garima

• 5. Re: Notifications from Tableau Server on change of status
                  Matt Coles

Yes, if your needs are fairly simple, the 10.3 alerts should be able to do what you are looking for. The alerts can only be set on a visually-exposed numeric measure axis. So you'll need to add the table-calc version as a new viz to a dashboard. You'll need to include a relative date filter in the view you use to trigger the alert so that you can suppress repeated alerts for the same data. Each person desiring the alert will need to go to your viz, click the axis they want to be alerted on, and then select a static threshold value that will trigger the alert when exceeded, or when the values are under it. They will then receive the alert as appropriate.

Jonathan, I can't remember if I already mentioned the "trigger viz in a dashboard" trick for your TC talk, but this here is a good use case for it.

If you want to "push" email alerts to large numbers of individuals for whom it'd be unreasonable to expect them to create the alerts manually themselves, or if you need the content of the alert customized for each person, or include attachments or hyperlinks, or more dashboards from different workbooks, etc, then VizAlerts may be worth looking into.