2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 5:54 AM by Ramkumar Chandrasekaran

Can we plot maps without latidude and longitude?

Ramkumar Chandrasekaran

Hi,

I have a data with Country, city, street name, house number and postal code. But I dont have the latitudes and longitudes of these addresses. Could you please suggest the best way to plot these locations in a map? Please help.

Thanks,

Ram

• 1. Re: Can we plot maps without latidude and longitude?
          Ben Neville

Tableau will geocode most geographic granularities for you. Depending on your postcode detail and the country you are trying to map, these will likely map just fine. If you right-click the field and select the Geographic Role option, you should be able to pick the corresponding geography. You should then find Latitude (generated) and Longitude (generated) fields in your measures shelf. You don't need to do anything with these - they're just Tableau generating geographic points so that your maps will work. To draw the map you can select your fields with geographic detail and use Show Me, or just double-click them.

If you need to actually plot things down to the house number/street name - essentially address level information, you will likely need to run them through some batch geocoding service. In my experience, the really good ones aren't free, and the free ones aren't really good - namely because they're slow or capped at a certain number. Not to mention this is a "static" approach, whereby if you add more data in the future, you would need to re-run this geocoding.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can we plot maps without latidude and longitude?
            Ramkumar Chandrasekaran

Thank you so much Ben. I am very much clear. Now, I am able to plot the maps with the help of Country and Post code.

I have got a new requirement on this one today. The database may have the latitude and longitude for addresses. If the co-ordinates are available for an address, Tableau should plot the maps based on this field. Otherwise, it should plot the location based on the combination of Country and Postal code (without co-ordinates). Is that possible?