4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2017 8:24 AM by Jeff Strauss

unattended config

Jeff Strauss

I know with 10.1 there is the ability to do an unattended install via scripting.  Unattended Installs of Tableau Server

Has anybody done any script comparable with updating the config? 

I tried testing out a move of the backgrounder processes to a different node so I did a "tabadmin set worker0.backgrounder.procs 1", but this caused a big red "X" on the status screen so then I went back and did it through the official config dialog (on dev), and it worked.  But this takes long.

Mike Roberts

• 1. Re: unattended config
          Glen Robinson

Hi Jeff

Have never tried this before, so thought I would give it a go.

Ran the following (which worked)

tabadmin stop

tabadmin set worker1.backgrounder.procs 2

tabadmin config

tabadmin start

My cluster came back online with 2 backgrounders on worker 1.(there was only one before hand)

Regards

Glen

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: unattended config
            Jeff Strauss

interesting, the only difference that I can see is that I was adding 1 backgrounder to a node that had never had it before.  So I am thinking that if you go the normal dialog way, then it has a step in there to add the needed dll's or some other enablement.

• 3. Re: unattended config
              Glen Robinson

Hi Jeff

I have just completed the same exercise.

Added 2 backgrounders to a worker which never had backgrounders installed on it before.

And, if I look on the GUI Status screen, it shows the backgrounders as being down.

However, if I use the TABADMIN STATUS -V command it shows them as being running....

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 16.19.02.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: unattended config
                Jeff Strauss

thx for checking!  I believe that the "tabadmin status" verifies that the port is open.  But the "X" means that something is still wrong like missing dll or icon or whatever.