5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 12:49 PM by Kaz Shakir

Is this even possible to do in tableau

Stephen Crocker

I can't figure out if this is even possible or not.  I got a request to have data put in the following format:  Is there anyway to do this in Tableau.  Basically take a spreadsheet and turn it into this format.  Any suggestions would be fine.  PowerBI, PowerPivot, SSRS.   Something Maybe Excel but don't necessary want to do that since excel would be connection to SQL Server.

Using Tableau 10.2

The FY2017 would be a current count of all transactions in Fiscal Year Ending in June of 2017 so the June Units would be from June 2016 ~ May 2017.  This is just a sample of what the template I was given looks like.

EventsFY 2017
      Units
      FY 2017
      % of Units
      FY 2017
      Revenue
      FY 2017
      % of Revenue

June

Units

June

% of Units

June

Revenue

June

% of Revenue

etc
      Total Units & Revenue

Event Registrations

Syllabus
      Net Units & Revenue

Event Registrants
          Syllabus
      New People
           Event Registrants
           Syllabus
      Allied People
           Event Registrants
           Syllabus
        • 1. Re: Is this even possible to do in tableau
          Kaz Shakir

Stephen,

I'm sure that sort of report is possible - it will really depend on the structure of your underlying data.  If you can post a sample of your data, perhps we can help with some ideas.

Kaz.

• 2. Re: Is this even possible to do in tableau
            Stephen Crocker

Here's a copy of the data

• 3. Re: Is this even possible to do in tableau
              Kaz Shakir

Stephen,

What you can do with this data, is for every column in your sample, you would create calculated fileds like this:

And create a parameter where you can enter the Fiscal Year you want to view:

And, then also create calculated fields to define the begining and ending of your fiscal year:

And then finally, create a simple viz, that looks something like this:

Obviously I don't know if I picked up the correct values for units and revenue in the calculated fields, so you will need to modify that as needed.  Hopefully this gives you an idea of how you can build this kind of "report" in Tableau.

Hope that's helpful.

Kaz.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is this even possible to do in tableau
                Stephen Crocker

Awesome, that is what I needed.  One thing though, how would I get the other months in there not just june, it would be june, july, august..... to may, would I need to create calculated fields for each Mont like Units for second Month of Fiscal Year?

• 5. Re: Is this even possible to do in tableau
                  Kaz Shakir

If you need them to be individual columns and you need to see them all then you would create calculated fields for each month.  However, if your report will only include a certain month - for example, the current month - then you could just have one calculated field and another parameter to select which month - and then have the calculated field just change months based on what the user selects in the parameter.  A couple of things to watch out for: (a) be careful to keep track of which months have 30 days and which ones have 31 so that you don't accidentally miss a day; and (b) make sure you include logic in your "February" calculations to account for the extra day in that month in leap years.

Kaz.