7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 10:12 AM by Glen Robinson

Site specific performance and monitoring

Soundararajan Ananthu Ramalingam

In HA environment with 1 primary server, 2 worker nodes and 2 external load balancer, 1 repository server (MSSQL)

1. If requests comes from multiple sites, Is there any site specific allocation of processes can be done among worker nodes?

I assume gateway processes are active among three nodes, all the processes except repository will be active to process the requests

2. How to add the additional instances of cache server and back-ground processes since these two single-threaded?

3. Can we add background processes in the primary server?

4. Can we separate the in-built Postgresql repository to separate MS-SQL Server repository in another node and link this in two worker nodes?

Appreciate your early response in this regard.

• 1. Re: Site specific performance and monitoring
          Glen Robinson

Hi Soundararajan

1. If requests comes from multiple sites, Is there any site specific allocation of processes can be done among worker nodes?

I assume gateway processes are active among three nodes, all the processes except repository will be active to process the requests

Not in a supported way. i understand that Tamas Foldi has done something like this Data Crunching and Visualization -Databoss

2. How to add the additional instances of cache server and back-ground processes since these two single-threaded?

Use the configuration screen to add addtional processes to your environment

Reconfigure Processes

3. Can we add background processes in the primary server?

You can. However, if you are on core license, and the primary server isnt running any processes which count towards you core license, by adding Backgrounder, your Primary cores will start counting towards it.

4. Can we separate the in-built Postgresql repository to separate MS-SQL Server repository in another node and link this in two worker nodes?

Not sure what you are asking. Is this you want the repository to run on MS- SQL and not PostgreSQL? The answer is no, (or at least not in a supported way)

All the best

Glen

• 2. Re: Site specific performance and monitoring

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your response.  I need further clarification as below

I assume gateway processes are active among three nodes, all the processes except repository will be active to process the requests.  Is my assumption correct?

Can you clarify "not in a supported way"?

If we install MS SQL Server in place of Postgresql,  tabadmin backup will take backup needed from MS SQL Server for restore purposes?  explain what type of functionalities in tableau will affect due to this change in repository.  Is it the best practice?

Thanks

Soundar

• 3. Re: Site specific performance and monitoring
              Glen Robinson

Hi

I assume gateway processes are active among three nodes, all the processes except repository will be active to process the requests.  Is my assumption correct?

If the gateway process is running on all nodes, then they are only 'active' if users are connecting to them. This is either because an External Load Balancer is directing traffic to them, or because the end user has been directed to them

So for instance, I have 3 servers (ServerA, ServerB, ServerC) and they all run Gateway.

If all my users are told to connect to http://ServerA, then the gateways on B & Care doing nothing. (The other processes on B & C will be doing stuff though)

If I had an external Load Balancer that directs traffic to all 3 Gateways then all 3 will be used.

Can you clarify "not in a supported way"?

Means not supported by Tableau. Configuration changes will need to be made to the Tableau Cluster, which haven't been approved by Tableau.

There are 2 main issues with this.

1. If you need support from Tableau, and you have made fundamental changes to the way your Tableau server runs, then they may decline to assist you.

2. If Tableau changes the way that Tableau Server operates, (say in Tableau 11, they decide to stop using apache (for instance)), then all the work that you have done to implement your solution may not work in the new version. And you will need to start again.

More on Tamas' stuff here International Server Admin Tableau User Group with Tamas Foldi - July 2016 on Vimeo

If we install MS SQL Server in place of Postgresql,  tabadmin backup will take backup needed from MS SQL Server for restore purposes?  explain what type of functionalities in tableau will affect due to this change in repository.  Is it the best practice?

Definitely not best practice moving the repository to MS SQL.

I would say that if you move the repository to MS SQL, and you want Tableau Server to run using this repository, you will probably need to re-write a good percentage of the code that makes up Tableau Server.

• 4. Re: Site specific performance and monitoring

Hi Glen,

The responses are really helpful.   I have few more questions.

1. If the worker is installed with no repository process, still all the primary and worker nodes are in sync right.  What is the interval of time the syncing happens?  Is this parameterized?  For example if I take the tabadmin backup on the primary server, that backup will have data across primary and worker nodes right, please clarify

2. The tableau server performance monitoring provides the sample performance workbook.  Can we use this workbook at the site level to monitor?

3. Can we allocate the quota (percentage) per site level that any client requests route to the active processes by load balancer?  we have an external F5 load balancer configured to primary and 2 worker nodes.

Thanks

Soundar

• 5. Re: Site specific performance and monitoring
                  Glen Robinson

Hi Soundar

1. All nodes in a cluster work together, irrespective of which nodes host what process. So if a node doesnt host a repository it will communicate with a node that does for information from the repository.

If you take a tabadmin backup, all extracts will be backed up, and the repository, and config files (irrespective of which nodes they reside on)

The backup file is created on the primary server.

2. Can you clarify what you mean by the server performance monitoring? Do you mean the admin views?

3. Not sure what you mean here? Do you mean can you use the f5 to push traffic to individual gateways dependent on who they are? Possibly you can do this with the F5. However, once they hit a Gateway process, this process will then direct them to any available Application server process (irrespective of which node the Gateway was on).  i.e just because they are directed to a Gateway on a server, doesnt mean they will stay on that server for dashboard rendering, etc

All the best

Glen

• 6. Re: Site specific performance and monitoring

Hi Glen,

1.If we have 3 worker nodes, 2 worker nodes with repository enabled and 3rd one with no repository.  How is the repository data in the two worker nodes are sync at what time interval?

2. Can you clarify what you mean by the server performance monitoring? Do you mean the admin views?

Here is the link to Analyze Data with the Sample Performance Workbook.  In this Sample Performance workbook, can we use this workbook at the site level?

3. Not sure what you mean here? Do you mean can you use the f5 to push traffic to individual gateways dependent on who they are? Possibly you can do this with the F5. However, once they hit a Gateway process, this process will then direct them to any available Application server process (irrespective of which node the Gateway was on).  i.e just because they are directed to a Gateway on a server, doesnt mean they will stay on that server for dashboard rendering, etc

Is the processes across the nodes can be allocated equally to each site?

• 7. Re: Site specific performance and monitoring
                      Glen Robinson

Hi Soundararajan

1. Not sure what the official time interval is, but it is replicated almost pretty quickly / if not instantaneously.

2. The workbook for Tableau Activity can be at the site level (ie Background tasks, Session info, etc) as they will be linked to a site. Haven't used the workbook, so cant confirm if this is shown in the workbook, but it should be in the data.

The perfmon information will be at the server level, ie Server CPU, memory usage, process usage etc

3.All Tableau processes are not linked to sites. There is no concept of balancing out between sites, or dedicating processes to individual sites, within a cluster

Regards

Glen