7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 8:12 AM by Angela Cheng

Tableau creates nested temp folders and cannot access data directory to open .twbx files

Tanuj Manoharan

I've noticed Tableau has been acting really weird in which it is unable to open any .twbx files anymore. However, it does open older versions of the same saved file. To clarify, I saved work books with different version names every time I make a major change. So while tableau does open these older files, if I make any changes and save it as a .twbx file, it won't open.  The pop-up says "Errors occurred while trying to load the workbook <filepath>.The load was not able to complete successfully".  Which is weird since I do have full admin rights to all folders on my computer. When I click show details it says "Error getting archive file info(0)". Everything was working fine prior to a few days. I can't really point to what changed within these days that Tableau is acting strange. I did check/troubleshoot any potential firewall/access issues and everything is just fine.

I also noticed when I do open an older .twbx file, and save it, it throws an unexpected error; "Unable to open directory: C:\Users\John~1.Doe\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\0s6v6eg0bxiwlr1d7f79i1kz8od7\Data\Users\John~1.Doe\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\764193898\Data\John~1.Doe\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\1692393084\Data\Users\John~1.Doe\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp". When I try to navigate through to this folder, its a continuous nested loop of folders with no data. Which leads me to believe its a Tableau issue.

Also to further clarify, my views/dashboards are linked to multiple excel files. When I save the workbook, it creates a temp folder but if my excel file is updated, I have to go to data sources, right click on the file, edit connection and then connect it back to the original file since it is now pointing to the file in a temp folder.

I'm using tableau desktop version 10.1.1 64-bit